saw shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I have finally decided it is time for a new table saw. :icon_cheers I currently have a cheapo Crapsman that I bought like 8 years ago before I knew better. It’s a 10” on a metal stand with the dust bag underneath ……you know the type . my shop is really small so I need to keep the new saw small too. I guess I’m looking in the contractor category, but don’t really want something mobile or with legs that stick out to the side. I’m not completely against it, I want to keep my options open. My current saw is the right size for my shop, I’m just ready for something a little more accurate and with actual miter slots instead of a groove with a tab bent over every 12 inches or so. :BangHead: I welcome any and all comments and discussion …good or bad to help me decide………. Maybe you have one for sale. I’m just a weekend warrior so I don’t need anything high-end. I have a few hundred to spend if I need it but would like to get the most bang for my buck
Thanks in advance for any input :D

gator

George
Corporate Member
my shop is really small so I need to keep the new saw small too. I guess I’m looking in the contractor category, but don’t really want something mobile or with legs that stick out to the side.
Thanks in advance for any input :D

Actually a contractor saw will take up more room than a cabinet or hybrid saw. If you keep your eyes peeled an craigslist or similar sites you may very well find a cabinet or hybrid saw in good shape for a few hundred.

George

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I won't compare my saw to other options out there, but here's what I like and dislike about it.

First, the saw is a Porter Cable PCB270TS. I picked it up from Lowe's about 18 months ago for $599, which is still its price today. It has a cast iron table with sheet metal extensions, a built in mobile base, standard 3/4" miter slots, right tilt and a so-so fence. The riving knife tilts with the blade and is adequate.

I've added HDMW (the white pieces) on the fence, board buddies, and most recently a Wixey digital fence gauge.

WR700-13.jpg

I have an Oshlun 8" dado set that I use quite a bit with no problems on this saw. Overall I'm pleased with this saw and haven't had any problems at all with it.

I'm not especially impressed with the steel side extensions. The are difficult to get exactly flush and level with the cast iron top. They aren't actually all that flat themselves. It hasn't caused any major problems in use but I'll probably replace them with wood extensions set up sort of like I did the right hand wooden unit.

The included miter gauge is ok to start with but I upgraded to an Incra miter gauge fairly early.

The blade guards work, but (donning flack jacket) I really don't use them very often. With the proper accessories I've done raised panels, tenons, ripping, cross cutting, dados, etc. with accuracy and gotten good cuts.

I don't know what else is out there at this price point that might be better. There are quite a few saws out there that cost more.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
Actually a contractor saw will take up more room than a cabinet or hybrid saw. If you keep your eyes peeled an craigslist or similar sites you may very well find a cabinet or hybrid saw in good shape for a few hundred.

George

my thinking as well. Do you have 240V? that's another consideration, but not a limitation. Most hybrids are 120V/240V whereas a cabinet saw is going to be 240V. I didn't have 240V, but decided to upgrade when i got my hybrid off of CL (Craftsman zipcode saw). I also opted to install some dedicated 120V outlets so that my other tools were no longer sharing a voltage line w/ the kitchen microwave (amp hog that it is)!

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
A hybrid saw has the motor enclosed in the cabinet like a cabinet saw vs. hanging out the back like a contractor saw. The motor on a hybrid is typically 1.75-2hp like a contractor saw vs. the 3-5hp found on cabinet saw. B/c of the less powerful motor, hybrid saws typically are dual voltage like contractor saws can be. The trunnions can either be table-mounted (contractor style) or cabinet mounted and vary from saw to saw. Cabinet mounted are easier to adjust the blade/miter slot parallelism and tend to hold the adjustment better. FWIW, dust collection is usually much better on a hybrid/cabinet saw vs. contractor.

HTH,
Sam

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For < $600, I'd say the Ridgid 4512, or maybe the Porter Cable one another poster mentioned. Closer to $1000, there's a lot more options.
If you want small/ portable/ foldable, Bosch makes a decent saw, but it doesn't compare to what a regular stationary saw provides.

batk30msu

New User
brent
I have the ridgid 4512. I ordered on homedepot.com and they shipped to my house free. That was a nice bonus as the box weighed about 250 or so and most other places charge an arm and leg to ship heavy stuff.

If you would like to try it out I am in Holly Springs. I would have loved more power and more cast iron but I feel like this has been a pretty good saw. It is about the cheapest hybrid you can find. The best part for me was the belt drive. I used to have a direct drive and it made way too much noise. This is much quieter.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
These are excellent contractor saw and fence systems:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49681

I had that saw for many years - same fence and extension table as well. The fence is great - once calibrated, mine stayed true for 10 years. No trouble ripping 2" of oak with a good blade. I switched mine to 240V. I only upgraded for safety reasons (it isn't any less safe than any other saw without a riving knife). I sold mine a few years ago for ~$450, equipped similar to this one, but with the Delta mobile base that supports the extension table legs. I'd say this one is a pretty good deal, assuming it's in excellent shape (mine was). Looks like the surface needs some attention.

Bob Carreiro

New User
Bob
You may not like to read this, but...
I have the "Crapsman" 221140 - a left-tilt hybrid. Bought on sale in 8/05 for $599 ($799 normally - well back then in WA State) and it has seen considerable use. I have had no issues with it. Being a hybrid, thin kerf blades should be used to maximize torque though, and I do wish it had more power (8/4 hardwood is a challange, even with fresh blade). The fence has remained true with periodic adjustments and I have never had to adjust the shaft (for blade parallelism). At the time of purchase, I also bought the mobile platform. I would recommend this saw to any small shop that does not require a higher powered saw. For $75.00 (+/-), you can buy additional 2-yr warrentee services which includes on-site annual "tune-ups" which I subscribed to a couple of times.
There are many saws to pick from, and you can always go pre-owned to get a better saw for less cash. Good luck.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Thanks everyone ...this is great info ! :eusa_clap one thing I have realized as a result of this is that I pretty much got to go portable because of the weight . I didn't realize some of these saws were in the 300 lb range :eek: ! my shop is a metal building with a plywood floor on pilings like a mobil-ey home . The back is almost 3 ft off the ground . There's already 300 lbs of me moving through there along with all my other equipment so lighter is better for now. The Bosch looks really nice and has excellent reviews. not gonna pull the trigger just yet but I have plenty to digest now
Thanks again ....you ROCK !! :icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
One more saw if you are thinking about a portable saw is the Rigid R5210.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...e-Saw-with-Stand-R4510/100090444#.UfsMtRXD-M8

I had this saw for several years before upgrading to a "hybrid". Great saw with a very accurate fence. I could rip and crosscut all day long with pretty goos accuracy. The only downside was it couldn't really handle a stacked dado very well, do the to the arbor length and power. I was very happy with the performance at less cost than the Bosch or Dewalt at the time.

Worth checking out if this is the size of saw you are looking at.

Wayne

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've been looking for a couple years for a saw to replace my PowerMatic 64. It's a good saw with a Vega fence system. I just would like to find a UniSaw or comparable cabinet type saw with dust collection capability. I'll keep looking! :)

wwidmer

New User
Bill
Look around on Craigslist for an oldie but goodie. Seach and be patient. Part of it also depends on your willingness to refurbish/restore a machine. I have seen unisaws come available in the $200 - $500 range. Powermatics are also nice.
Go for something that was built to last!

Good luck in the hunt!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Don't overlook the Grizzly hybrids...they have a 2Hp and a 3Hp.....:icon_thum:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS