saw bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
A saw bench has been on my list for awhile to further my plunge into neanderthalism. I googled around for versions, before settling on this one. I didn't like the A-frame style I had seen (Schwarz). I was worried that the protruding legs would interfere w/ sawing. I liked this version b/c of the center slot, which would allow good support for ripping. I made this bench out of a 8' 2x12, SYP from the BORG. It's about 18" high, 30" long. The center slot is ~1/2". Ironically, the boards were milled and sawn by machine. The joinery is by hand -legs are M/T and drawbored into the "feet" and of course big DTs for the top and a DT for the poplar apron.

DSC031711.JPG

DSC031721.JPG

DSC03175.JPG

DSC03179.JPG

And of course, the all important POC -Here are a couple of pieces of maple ~3 1/2 ft long that I ripped.

DSC031701.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Interesting design with the slit down the middle. I like it. Simple, efficient.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I am impressed. A 2x12 from the BORG and all I see is two knots in it. i can see the usefulness of the bench. I only have sawhorses to use now and sometimes they are the wrong height. Good looking bench.

Roy G

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I am impressed. A 2x12 from the BORG and all I see is two knots in it. i can see the usefulness of the bench. I only have sawhorses to use now and sometimes they are the wrong height. Good looking bench.

Roy G

talk about a needle in a haystack! no pith, 2 knots, and more or less straight. luckily i just needed the one. it's also a good sitting height.

Interesting design with the slit down the middle. I like it. Simple, efficient.

the slit works well in the couple of rips i've done. I've not used a saw bench w/ the v-notch that I've seen, but I think it would cause me to constantly advance the board while ripping.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I like this a lot. recently used an off brand adjustable bench/clamp with less than stellar results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS