Satin not satin

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Dont compare GF's line of water based products to others (minwax etc) , there is no comparison!!!
Agree. I love ArmRSeal its made for finishing impaired people like me......

@scott - be sure its stirred thoroughly the flatteners settle out in a lot of products. That said, sheens can be different brand to brand.

Did you thin it any?

Spraying is the best way to go on anything other than wipe ons.

Other than a few stains, the only top coats MinWax product I use is their wipe on poly.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Dont compare GF's line of water based products to others (minwax etc) , there is no comparison!!!
I actually bought a can of water based when I was there last, but this project was already with the base in traditional poly. ( gad is it expensive) Also bought some Variathane lacquer to play with.

Looks like Turtle Wax rubbing compound gives about the right sheen. 800, 1200, rub. Darn profile of raise panel doors.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Seems SW stores vary a lot. Some have no more than DIY house paint, and even that, out of stock on a lot.
SW is having SERIOUS supply chain issues (Texas power outage related + other factors); many stores are out of stock and certain items won't be back in stock for awhile (ceiling paint). Call ahead is a specific product is critical for you.

Bill J

Bill
User
I am much less serious than many of the people on this forum and don't do enough work to justify a pre-cat finish but I have given up on Minwax and have had good luck with Varathane. I am also limited because my shop is in the basement so I need to keep to low VOC finishes. I need to try Armrseal and Waterlox, perhaps on my next project...

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
SW is having SERIOUS supply chain issues (Texas power outage related + other factors); many stores are out of stock and certain items won't be back in stock for awhile (ceiling paint). Call ahead is a specific product is critical for you.
The days of a sales person being humble is gone. The buyer now has to be humble to get supplies.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I found if I shake the can to mix I can introduce bubbles so i reverted back to stirring with a stick before use.

Trying to finish a project with satin poly. First, it is way too glossy and I get way too many tiny bubbles. I( Tried spray, brush, rag. Can block it down fine, but can't find the right final buffing. 0000 is way too course. Even 1200 wet-dry.

How does one get a really smooth satin?

Wondering if Minwax is messed up as it says satin, but there is no ground glass or whatever in the bottom of the cans ( two)

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
This is a 8/4 Walnut counter top today. Finishing took 1 3/4 hours including sanding first coat and drying times. Three coats, 90 drops Transtint dye for one quart in the second coat only

Sherwin Williams medium rubbed precat, T77.

The picture does not do it justice, came out really nice.

View attachment 203415
What color dye did you add?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Talked to the sister of a painter friend yesterday. He had to buy paint from Lowe's the other day...........

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Talked to the sister of a painter friend yesterday. He had to buy paint from Lowe's the other day...........
Yes I too have been there and done that. SW continues to supply Lowes with paint (well stocked), while their SW retail stores are hurting for inventory. Whoever signed that contract might be the re-thinking terms...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS