sassafras

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
What to do with sassafras? What else but make root beer, fermented with ginger root wild yeast

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Brings back memories of my neighbor making root beer in a milk can. Hires extract, sugar, and yeast as I remember it. It was a great treat after working in the hayfields and the haymow. I want a jug too Jeff, just stop by on your way to deliver Scott's. BTW, you are missed. It's so much better when you come to the Mid Winter Blahs Picnic!:p

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks guys

Nice work on the new fourm software. It looks good, I don't need a magnifying glass to read the posts & it seems to works very well on my little android phone. Hats of to Ron and the NCWW crew behind the scenes :thumbs_up. I mainly just posted this thread to test the new software out.

Just something a little different to do with wood. Roots are wood, aren't they? Sassy roots used in the right way can make you feel good also o_O. This batch finished out @ 4.1 ABV, so it's not a heavy, but not a soda either.

I would really like to find some red birch trees around here in southern IL. Birch beer is my favorite but a guy can only work with what he has available. We got lots of sassafras.

Last edited:

ncfromnc

New User
neil
This is what i made for my daughter when she graduated from college. I was amazed at how stable this wood is. I love using Sassafras. I used a little walnut too. There's a sliding tray inside made of walnut too.

Attachments

• blanketchest.jpg
    blanketchest.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 215

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well I finally figured out what to do with sassafras. Smells of faint rootbeer, has a very mild bourbon like taste on the front end that finishes of mild apricot on the back end, it heats up my ears going down. 13.5% alcohol by volume, should make for a nice wine to warm me up this winter
IMG_20190914_211057326.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would really like to find some red birch trees around here in southern IL. Birch beer is my favorite but a guy can only work with what he has available. We got lots of sassafras.

Red birch is also called River birch and we have lots of it in NC.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Red birch is also called River birch and we have lots of it in NC.

I actually have a bit of a plan around that but it will have to wait untill late winter / early spring.
IMG_20190920_195626.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS