"Santa" Lumber Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
Happy Monday all! I hope all you dads out there (and everyone else of course) had a wonderful Father's Day weekend. I got a Granberg Mini Mill and can't wait to try it out this weekend (side gloat).

Approximately 1 month ago I wrote about doing some sort of lumber run down the mountain from the Boone area to Raleigh and got some positive feedback both via the post and via email. In lieu of that, I have scrounged up some wood and am ready to make my way down the mountain maybe Saturday June 28th, if that works for everyone.

This is what I have...
...air dried for 15 yrs or so...
3000bf +/- Cedar - most is 5/4 at 6-8 ft long at various widths (5"+).
300bf +/- Black Walnut - 5/4 at 6-8 ft long at various widths (5"+). I do have a couple thick slabs too.
300bf +/- Ash - 5/4 at 6-8 ft long at various widths (5"+).
1000bf +/- Black Cherry (Mountain Cherry) - 5/4 at 6-8 ft long at various widths (5"+).

...supposed to have been kd and then kept in barn for 5 yrs or so (as per guy I'm selling it for)...
640bf +/- Cedar - 5/4 - 8/4 at various widths (mostly around 8") at 8' lengths. This one sells as a lot for $1,200...very nice...I measured the pile at apprx 642bf.

...turning stock (mostly treated with sealer and possibly in drying process, thought mostly still green)...
Black Walnut, Spalted Maple, Spalted Beech, Apple, Wormy Chestnut, Hemlock, Persimmon (at request), Hard & Soft Maple, and some others.
Turning stock includes mostly bowl blanks, but there are some pen blanks (wormy chestnut), lamp blocks and stock for turning table legs and mallet heads/handles also.

...Green Stuff...
I have many slabs of black walnut, white walnut, persimmon, spalted maple, hard maple, black (mtn) cherry, etc... that I will be cutting this weekend. As most of these are 20" - 50" in diameter, I can make these availbable at some point in the future maybe.

Ok, enough talk. In the end, all I want to do is make enough to pay for the gas in my F350 ($200), 2 cheesburgers w/fries and 1 coke ($5.00), 1 bag of cheese popcorn ($2.00) and 2 waters ($3.00). If I can do that, then I will make this happen. I will start in Boone...make a 1 hr stop in Wilkesboro (if needed)...make a 2hr stop in W-S...make a 2 hr stop between G-boro and Burlington (or the truckstop near Trollingwood Rd exit)...and a 2hr stop in Raleigh (wherever someone tells me to go).

All lumber (unless otherwise noted) is $2/bf!!! Turning stock will be priced individually, yet still at very low prices.

I await your response.
Rod

email-lrb150@skybest.com
cell- (828)230-5915

Last edited:

woodArtz

New User
Bob
As long as nothing comes up, I'm in for the Trollingwood stop. I need turning stock and maybe some Walnut or Cherry.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I will be calling you today! I want some cedar and Black walnut, Approx. 50 BF of each.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I would be interested in some Ash 20bdf. and Black Cherry 60 bdf. Jeff runs his lumber runs through the HF parking lot on Capital Blvd. in Raleigh. I am sure a lot of us would be willing to meet you there.

Doug

Last edited:

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
If you ar planing a stop along the why say in Winston or Greensboro I would like some bowl blanks, Spalted Beech, Apple, Persimmon :notworthy:

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
I would be interested in 100 bd ft of cherry and 25 bd ft of black walnut. Prefer dry. I would be a Raleigh stop.

Rob

New User
Rob
If you ar planing a stop along the why say in Winston or Greensboro I would like some bowl blanks, Spalted Beech, Apple, Persimmon :notworthy:
Ditto, Would love some bowl blanks. Not knowing what the wood looks like before makes it hard to choose what type. If you throw it in with the load, I would love to meet you in G'boro to look and purchase some.

sawduster

New User
Robert
I'm not good enough yet to know what I need but you can bet your buckled boots that I will be there for the Raleigh leg . I like wide stuff and would love to have some dried cherry of any size as I have never played with any before
Guarantee I will buy at least one board ( if it's purdy ) ......probably more if " Mike The Enabler " ( dozer ) is there :rotflm:

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I would be interested in some ash and maybe some black cherry. See you on the 28th. How will we know when you will be getting where?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You have my attention. Ash and MT Cherry sound good. I would also be interested in some of your turning stock. Since you are coming down I-40 maybe a place near the airport might work instead of your going into Raleigh. Capital Blvd can be a traffic mess.

Rod

New User
Rod
To respond to a few comments/questions...

Locations:
Stop #1 - Either Wilkesboro or Statesville depending on responses.
Stop #2 - Winston-Salem @ Klingspor on Hanes Mall Blvd
Stop #3 - Burlington @ truckstop on Buckhorn Rd (Exit 157)
Stop #4 - Raleigh (HF on Capital Blvd). I don't know what HF stands for though.

I am more than willing to meet people on the way back too if we miss each other....we would just need to set up a time and place via cell phone that day.

As for times, I need to think about that and get back to you. For now I am thinking Winston by 9:00am. Burlington by 12:00. Raleigh by 2:00pm. I will, hopefully, leave Raleigh between 4:00 and 5:00 so as to catch people on the way back if necessary.

I am going to load a 6-ton trailer with as much as I can. If, for some reason, I run out of something during the run, I will do what I can to catch back up with folks on my way to Wilmington in early July. I plan to take a few pieces to donate to "Kids Making It" anyway and can probably fit some more around all of my kids' toys. ug...

Thanks for all of the responses. I look forward to the Santa run and, more importantly, meeting all of you. I will send another post as soon as I figure out the final logistics.
Rod

Last edited:

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I might be able to talk the CEO into adding to my cherry collection. I would also be interested in some cherry and walnut turning stock at the Raleigh stop. If you need me to specify an amount let me know and I will get back to you.

I would also suggest that stopping somewhere closer to airport might be easier for you and save you some time/gas money. But where ever is decided I should be able to make it. There are a few strip mall locations in/near RTP which would suffice as RTP is typically empty on the weekends.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
To respond to a few comments/questions...

Locations:

Stop #4 - Raleigh (HF on Capital Blvd). I don't know what HF stands for though.

That would be the Harbor Freight store parking lot off of Capital Blvd. (US 1) about 2 miles outside of the 440 belt-line - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf?f=detail&Retail_Store_ID=97

I will do what I can to catch back up with folks on my way to Wilmington in early July. I plan to take a few pieces to donate to "Kids Making It" anyway and can probably fit some more around all of my kids' toys. ug...

Rod that is awesome that you are taking some stuff to KMI. They are an awesome program and one I support as often as I can :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks for all of the responses. I look forward to the Santa run and, more importantly, meeting all of you. I will send another post as soon as I figure out the final logistics.
Rod

Rod thank-you, you are the true spirit of what this site is about. Woodworkers helping woodworkers. I applaud you :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap and look forward to meeting you also :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Dave:)

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Rod, I would be interested in both the dried black walnut and black cherry.

tv

Rocker

New User
John
will you have any 8/4 stock? I'd be interested in 100 bf of walnut and maybe cherry, too.
Regards,
John (Rocker)

Vestus

Kerry
Corporate Member
I can use some walnut, cherry, and ash, probably 25-30bf each. (Fill my small garage here in Raleigh.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS