Sandply Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
Does anyone know what species of wood is used for the surface plys on "Sandply" plywood? I have some small pieces of wood that looks like the same species as Sandply. It turned and polished very nice and I would like to get some larger pieces!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I don't know what it is, but I HATE sandply! It uses either inferior or not enough glue (or both ) between plys and delaminates very easily.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have read that it is Virola koschnyi which is a tropical timber from South America mainly Brazil.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Maybe cottonwood or birch was what you got that you worked. Sandply plywood I think is sometimes is hit or miss. For me, the layers separate and in the same stack I have had 3 different thicknesses from sheet to sheet in the 1/2 inch stuff. Very irritating when you are making drawers especially when the variance was 1/32 per sheet. It is usable, just know what you are getting.

jhreed

New User
james
typically, southern yellow pine plywood graded ac ext is stamped sandply to indicate that the a grade side is sanded and ready for painting.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
A little more research has turned up some more information.
Sandeply is a brand of plywood imported by BlueLinx. It's face veneers are from the tree commonly known as Sande. Specifically Brosimum utile and other related species.
Sandply might just mean that the graded face is finish sanded like mentioned above.

Dave:)

woodnick

New User
Nick
This search has nothing to do with plywood except that the sample I have looks just like Sandply
Thanks Dave for the help you given. Here is picture of the wood I've turn on a bowl edge, I just like the dark-brown rays in the wood and would like to have more

www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/Bowl_edge.jpg

If anyone is interested here is the link to Sande that Dave has found

http://tropix.cirad.fr/america/SANDE.pdf

Now the next question is were can I get some? My guest is to "Highjack" a truck on the way to the veneer mill as I'm guesting that's were it all goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS