SandPaper and Abrasives Sizes

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Attached is a reference guide for abrasives. There are a few standards we run across and hopefully this guide will help you be able to convert on the fly and make sense of it all.

It contains both Grit size, Mesh size, European sizes and their equivalent to Micron or MM, and Micron sizes.

I do use Cerium Oxide occasionally for polishing it is the finest, and discovered this is what you use to get scratches out of glass. It can leave a kind of residue so, make sure if you are polishing something do a test and see how it embeds or not. I have used it on Resins with success and of course glass and metals mostly.

Hopefully all will find it useful.

~~~ Casey

Attachments

• Abrasives sizes.pdf
    478.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
That's quite a chart! I was unfamiliar with some (most) of the terms and found these definitions.
Definitions:
FEPA (Fédération Européenne des Fabricants de Produits Abrasifs) Federation of European Producers of Abrasives. The FEPA distinguishes between grain for sanding paper (FEPA P) and grain for sharpening stones or wheels (FEPA F) The decisive factor for comparison is FEPA F. FEPA P is only used for sanding paper.
JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) issued by the Japanese Standards Association.
ANSI American National Standards Institute.
MICRON (μ) is the letter "micron" in the Greek alphabet. As measuring unit it describes 1 thousandth of a millimeter (1 μ = 0.001 mm). A Micron row is added to each FEPA P, FEPA F, JIS und ANSI row for comparison.
MM Micro-mesh grit in comparison to other standards.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I created it. It is from a compilation information I have collected over the last few years.

Feel free to PM me ~~~ Casey (oka)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS