Sandpaper Adhesive for Scary Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Has anyone found an adhesive better than the 3M spray for sticking the strips of wet/dry sandpaper to the flat surface, in my case 1/2-in plate glass? Sometimes the 3M spray feels a little lumpy under the paper.

Thanks for any new ideas.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I just spray a little mist of water on the glass plate and the sanding film or paper stays put.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Klingspor has peel and stick sandpaper rolls. I forget what they are called but I use the 2000 grit ones to cover both sides of a wheel for my worksharp which makes touching up chisels and plane blades a snap.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I just spray a little mist of water on the glass plate and the sanding film or paper stays put.

I also just use water for adhering wet/dry sandpaper to a granite stone or glass plate. When the edges start to loosen it is time for another squirt of water. Cleanup is quite easy with this method as there is no adhesive to remove.

About the only time I use spray adhesive is when I want to adhere several sheets to the cast iron top of my tablesaw.

That said, I primarily use water stones for sharpening my tools, but I do have both machinist grade polished granite and heavy plate glass which I keep on hand and use occasionally.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried the water, but without a lot of luck. Maybe if I let the paper soak a while or put in a little liquid soap to break the surface tension of the water it will help. Anyway, thanks to all and I will keep you advised of my luck.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you have a WorkSharp definitely get the paper for it at Klingspor. They sell adhesive backed sandpaper exactly made for the WorkSharp's at a greatly reduced price over what the WS branded stuff costs. And they support our group with a 10% discount.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Has anyone found an adhesive better than the 3M spray for sticking the strips of wet/dry sandpaper to the flat surface, in my case 1/2-in plate glass? Sometimes the 3M spray feels a little lumpy under the paper.

Thanks for any new ideas.

You're fretting over a minor and inconsequential point. Spray the adhesive, wait a few minutes, and apply one edge of the sandpaper while keeping the rest of it above the adhesive. Kind of roll it down with your hand sweeping back and forth across the surface and edges to work out the bumps as you go. A rolling pin works too.

The metal is harder than the bumpy sandpaper surface so you aren't going to deform the metal with a few bumps!

rick7938

New User
Rick
Didn't realize Klingspor sold the fine grits in PSA. Ordered some while still free shipping offered. The PSA works great on on the glass plate. Thanks for the info, Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS