Sanding Table Tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

foster239

New User
Stephen
Hi again,

I have several Maple 1.75" thick table tops that came out of a Physics Lab. Two are 24"x48" and one is 31x72". They are coated black and I would like to have them sanded down to bare wood. Does anyone know where I can have them sanded?

Thanks

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The black finish is a "chem-resin" type finish designed to resist most all lab chemicals including solvents, so that's why the stripper didn't work. I would suggest starting with planing the chem-resin material off. My guess would be that the chem-resin material will just quickly gum up any sanding media.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The black finish is a "chem-resin" type finish designed to resist most all lab chemicals including solvents, so that's why the stripper didn't work. I would suggest starting with planing the chem-resin material off. My guess would be that the chem-resin material will just quickly gum up any sanding media.

"chem-resin" :eek: Danger Will Robertson, even I would not be snorting that dust.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Depending on what you plan to use the tables for, a veneer might suit better than risking health (and mental health:wconfused:) trying to get rid of that surface material.

Barbara

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would leave it alone and use the heck out of it. That surface is far superior to anything you could ever put back on it.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Mike might very well be correct and if that is the case which I feel is, then use an automotive buffer. There are several different types of products that will take off clear coat from the hardest to the softest. So polish it to the gloss you want after it is cleaned.

If you know someone who does automotive detailing you just might get a surprise. My son used his UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) on the floor in the kitchen here where it looked as though something got spilled. The linoleum that had been put down and stained the heck out of the top clear coating referred to as "no wax" ever again.

For about 2 weeks it was slick as a peeled onion but stain is gone so if that is that hard then it should be able to be polished that is if you like the color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS