Sanding sealer / wood prep

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Curious, when I prep wood to stabilize the surface, depending, I use a couple of methods:

1. Very thinned out shellac then sand, then wipe with Alcohol damp cloth

2. Naphtha or Mineral spirits + linseed oil or a combination of both. Just depends on wood and application.

The reason I am asking, I noticed staining sealers and some other products on the market. Are these just a retail version of something like this or are they worth their hype ?

What do ya'll do ?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
The reason I am asking, I noticed staining sealers and some other products on the market. Are these just a retail version of something like this or are they worth their hype ?

Do you mean sanding sealers and not staining sealers? Which products "on the market" are you asking about? It helps to know what's in them specifically.

I use Zinnser Seal Coat. It's a 2lb cut of dewaxed shellac in alcohol. Sometimes it's good to further dilute 1:1 with alcohol.

Reactions: Oka

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That is what I currently do use dewaxed shellac cut to 50/50.

Never used a staining sealer is it that beneficial ?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a water based sanding sealer before applying anything else - as it can be applied before using other water based finishes and oil based finishes. Some consider it an extra step but that depends on the wood you are working with and what your desired finish is going to be.

• Thanks

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Failed to mention in my diatribe on the lake table, I dyed the bottom first with alcohol based analine dye, came out a little blotchy so used about a half pound cut on top before dyeing and it worked beautifully.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I use a "washcoat", usually 1 lb. dewaxed shellac, anytime I plan on using a dye on blotch prone wood. Otherwise, I don't.

Just for clarity purposes if you're not familiar w/ the term "washcoat":

A washcoat is a finish, any finish, thinned with two or more parts thinner and applied to wood under a stain to partially seal the wood so penetration of the stain is limited. The purpose is to reduce blotching in blotch-prone woods such as pine, cherry and birch. That is, in softwoods and tight-grained hardwoods.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Don't know any of them have no experience with any, I always just make what I want to use. Was curious if anyone actually use them and if there was any benefit.

Which ones and who makes them?

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use Minwax Water-Based Sanding Sealer when I work with pine. Once I have gotten a smooth surface I will apply the sealer; wait for it to dry and then depending on what I am shooting for, I will follow this up with one or more coats of General Finishes Glaze Effects and/or General Finishes Pearl Effects. The Gaze Effects come in six different colors including Clear and the Pearl Effects come in six different colors (no clear). I use some of these with bare wood or over milk paint.

• Thanks

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors