Sanding Disc Hub

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Where can I find these? Hub for electric motor, I am making a disc sander. Cannot locate a source.
A13B8E34-57A0-41F7-863F-134CF4D72852.jpeg

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Thanks, I searched google and entered disc hub, disc sanding wheel, sanding hub, every way I could think of to get results. Even when I search grizzly website, with sanding disc, I had a time even finding it there.
But anyway, thanks!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I looked at their disc sanders and if you scroll down they have parts diagrams... get the part number and enter it into their search window and it will give you a way to order any part.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
yes, you may have to do some further digging, like standard motor shaft sizes etc... But you can simply order one, and if it doesnt fit, rework it if you can, or just return it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where did the hub in your picture come from? What was it on?

Why not change your design and buy a hub that's readily available? Or buy a new disc sander?

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
The disc part is called a platen, but when looking at the parts for a Grizzly 20" disc sander, the platen is N/A. I suspect that may be the situation with any disc sander from any vendor. If you could buy just their platen, then you could fabricate your own disc sander on the cheap. Try Googling HOME MADE DISC SANDER, and you will get some offerings, or start here, www.woodarchivist.com.
Oops, that didn't work. I'll try again to find a good link.
Maybe this one will work.

or try this one. These should get you rolling with some ideas. Now I will peruse these links as I plan to build one too.

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have one that I got from another member a few years back. I had good intentions of building a disk sander but I never got a round tuit. you are welcome to it if you can figure out how to pick it up. I think it's 16".

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Where did the hub in your picture come from? What was it on?

Why not change your design and buy a hub that's readily available? Or buy a new disc sander?

Jeff that is a picture I got off the web for illustrative purposes only.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
As a side question, can I use some 3/8-1/2 inch phenolic type material to make a disc? Is that type of material acceptable for this application?

Woodmolds

Tony
User

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Shop Smith sells a 12" complete sanding disk. It fits a standard 5/8" shaft. As for hub, buy a cast iron sheave (pulley) mount it on the motor, and using some sand paper mounted in something that is steady (not free hand), true up the face, then drill and mount platten. Any shaft that you mount a sanding disk to has to have NO RUN OUT in the shaft. Any run out will be multiplied at the outer edge of the sanding disk. If you can use a 10" disk to make platten, buy a cheap 10" plywood blade, and file the teeth off, then mount to sheave.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
What I did was just use a typical hub (make sure the metal is steel and not cheap pot metal) I could bolt a disk to. Made sure it matched my arbor diameter. Then, cut a disk 12-1/4" Dia or whatever diameter you need make it 1/4" larger. Then find the center and layout according to your bolt pattern. Countersink the other side heads bolt the disk on the hub. I used 3/16" steel for the disk. You could use 1/4 Alum as well just depend on what you want. Then attach to the motor and fire it up . Once it is up to speed, I used my belt sander with #50 grit and run against the edge at 45deg to the edge until the vibration is as a minimum. This method gets the disk centered/round and even to the hub, Then, to do final balance, if the motor is free turning enough, just slowly let it spin to a stop you will find it will stop with the heavy part at the bottom. Mark that and then file a little then retest and adjust until you are happy with the balance. For me it took me about 5 min to do the balancing from start of the belt sander to final adjust. Finally, reattach your table and you are done. This is the easiest tool to do stuff to, fun too.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors