Sanders- Which would be better all round??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Morning all,
I find myself needing to buy a sander, other than the typical flat vibrating, orbital and angle/corner sanders...
I have narrowed (??) it down to either an "Oscillating Spindle Sander", likely a bench top model or one of the combo "Belt/Disk sanders".
It will mainly be used for projects such as sanding down on curved pieces, small boxes/drawers and other light/medium duty projects.
I was wondering if I get your opinions on which you have found more useful and if you have found a particular model/brand works best, holds up, reliable.
I am not out to spend a fortune, but I certainly want to get something that does not fall apart after a couple years use.
Thanks for your assistance.

Tony ...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Get the Ridgid. It has a belt and spindle along with a table that tilts! Looks to be good value for the money to me.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I haven't had too much exposure to all of the spindle sander variations out there, but I do like the versatility of the Ridgid EB4424. It has both oscillating spindles (3/4" - 2") as well as an oscillating 4x24" belt. The dust collection is so-so. I have had mine for a little over a year now and use it quite a bit and is still running fine. If I were in the market, I would buy it again. They are about $200 at the BORG.

Wayne

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I agree on the Rigid. For the $ I sure saw no competition.
I'd buy another if this one grew legs and walked off.

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Oscillating Spindle Sanders are best used for curved pieces. Belt/disk sanders are primarily for flat pieces. You can sand curved items on a belt/disk sander and vice versa but it's not the optimal choice. So if your goal is to sand both curved and flat pieces, the Rigid is probably your best choice. Outside of the Rigid, you're probably looking at stepping up considerably in price and/or buying two machines . Grizzly does have a combination disk/OSS but it runs about $475 before shipping.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The Griz spindle/disk combo is about the best set-up out there. But since I couldn't afford it I got the Ridgid OSS/Edge sander. I does almost everything I want. It really excels at launching your work piece while in edge sander mode, something that a disk wouldn't do.

Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Well this is sounding like a broke record here but I say the Ridgid as well. I don't even use my disk sander anymore. The Ridgid is the most used, versatile sander in the house and I have quite a few different ones.
Rob

woodrat

New User
Archie
Well, I guess I'll have to go along with the ones pushing Rigid.
I also have one and like it very much. Good value and had very
good reviews in the wood mags. :icon_thum

My .02 for whatever it's worth.

Woodrat

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Another option from someone whose shop space and budget are a little constrained:
http://www.intarsia.com/Hardware.html
The Flex-Drum sander at the top is a very useful shaper. The $2 1/2" adapter shaft will make it fit in a drill press. I get a fair amount of use out of each sleeve and pad (you do need a cleaning stick).
The sander down at the bottom is very nice.

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
This is strange I just bought the Ridgid sunday last week before anybody said anything about it. Just took it out of the box this morning, set it up and so far I like it, doesn't sound noisey and does a good job of sanding.
dick

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon all,

Thanks very much for your input. It seems from the reviews I have found and input, the Rigid is going to be the way to go...

Regards,

Tony ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS