Sandbox wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I'm going to be putting together a sandbox for the boy and was wondering what type of wood I should use? I'm going to stay away from the pressure treated. I was thinking about using cedar as it should last a few years outside. I was also considering the composite decking material but I only see it in 6" widths. Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe the new ACQ treated wood has a much lower LD50 toxicity than the old CCA woods & should be OK for this. The composite would hold up, but would bow if you have a gradient differential between the sand and the dirt outside without stubby posts or bracing. You could make a small 'bench seat' to help stiffen the sides and use ACQ stakes below to avoid exposure if that's your concern. If you can get locust or any other naturally rot resistant woods it would be great. Cedar will last as long as the kids do as long as it isn't white wood.

timf67

New User
Tim
I know this defeats the purpose, and feels like "cheating" but we have a small round "turtle" sandbox. It is plastic and the turtle shell is used as a cover when not in use. As much as I wanted to build my sons a sandbox, my wife convinced me to try the plastic turtle. The turtle was my nephews before we had it, so it is likely over 10 years old now but it works perfect. It keeps the neighborhood cats out, keeps the sand dry, and keeps most of the bugs out. My boys love it, and it has always been plenty big for 2 kids to play in it at once. So, MTCW would be to save your time and money (and put it to a different project) and just buy one at wallyworld... :dontknow:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Steve.

I built one for my daughters out of cedar and it lasted about eight years. I applied a couple of coats of cedar stain to it as well and we kept it covered with a plastic tarp when not in use or bad weather. The biggest issue we had was the camel cricket invasion when the tarp was left on for long periods of time. Kinda freaked the girls out, at times!:elvis:

I too used treated wood for stakes driven into the ground to add support to the sides.

It lasted through a lot of abuse during those eight years! The other big issue was trying to keep the sand in the box. GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!:BangHead::BangHead:

Good luck!

Wayne

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I'm with Dennis on this one... my understanding is the ACQ is good for play structures etc. and so would be fine for a sandbox. If you go with the ACQ treated wood, make sure you use hot-dip galvanized fasteners or the poly coated ones. Regular steel will not last long in treated wood.

Whatever you decide, build-your-own, or the little green and yellow plastic turtle, make sure you have and use a cover. Without the cover, you get:

• Debris (leaves, sticks, pine cones, etc.) to clean out
  • Water
  • Cats and other critters who will confuse the intended function of the sand
  • Fleas
We found out about the last one with a sandbox in our yard. My son would often have little red welts from the knees down after playing in the sand.

Glennbear

Glenn
I'm with Dennis on this one... my understanding is the ACQ is good for play structures etc. and so would be fine for a sandbox. If you go with the ACQ treated wood, make sure you use hot-dip galvanized fasteners or the poly coated ones. Regular steel will not last long in treated wood.

Whatever you decide, build-your-own, or the little green and yellow plastic turtle, make sure you have and use a cover. Without the cover, you get:

• Debris (leaves, sticks, pine cones, etc.) to clean out
  • Water
  • Cats and other critters who will confuse the intended function of the sand
  • Fleas
We found out about the last one with a sandbox in our yard. My son would often have little red welts from the knees down after playing in the sand.

Ray pretty much summed up my thoughts, I would only add a recommendation to place it on a patio block base to allow for drainage. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A piece of landscape fabric under the sand would also be helpful towards avoiding mixing with the dirt below - and keeping out stray roots.

macdaddy

New User
Steve
I built a small sandbox for my grandaughter and I used something completely different for the bottom. cement board. Lowes sell it and it is used for backing for kitchen splash guards. Only problem is that it only comes in 3'x5' sheets. So far it has been a water proof impenetrable nonsaging barrior between the ground and the sand. enough adjectives, it just does good sitting on the ground.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Not wood, but 6" PVC drain pipe for the sides, glued elbows for the corners, with landscape fabric underneath to let the water drain out would give no sharp edges or splinters, and could be relocated fairly easily. If you add a fill valve and drain valve, you can fill it with water to keep it from moving. Have no idea how to keep the neighborhood cats from using it, tho.

Go

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
Thanks for the input. I like the PVC idea. The lack of splinters was why I was looking at composite decking. I went by one of the big box places today to check out my options. The cedar looked just ok but I could see that splinters would be commonplace.:gar-Cr Maybe I'll "cap" it wit PVC.:widea: Cut it down the middle and slip it over the top? Anyway, I have a couple weeks to come up with the plan. I just can't see myself getting the turtle or store made options.

Thanks
Steve

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm going to be putting together a sandbox for the boy and was wondering what type of wood I should use? I'm going to stay away from the pressure treated. I was thinking about using cedar as it should last a few years outside. I was also considering the composite decking material but I only see it in 6" widths. Any ideas?
Thanks
Steve

Considered Ipe? Might be hard to find wider than 6", but that stuff will last forever.

mcoleman

New User
Mark
You might not have the space for this but I went the plastic sandbox route and put the whole thing on a platform made out of 4x4's on wheels. I would roll it into the garage when we were done playing and then roll it back out when it was time to play again. It rolls great on concrete and you don't have to fuss with all the other bad stuff.
One other benefit is that he can still play in it when it's raining outside. I used 4x4's and the big 4 inch casters that all swivel to make it mobile.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Don't forget about cypress. It works great outside and it is affordable.

Red

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I know this defeats the purpose, and feels like "cheating" but we have a small round "turtle" sandbox. It is plastic and the turtle shell is used as a cover when not in use. As much as I wanted to build my sons a sandbox, my wife convinced me to try the plastic turtle. The turtle was my nephews before we had it, so it is likely over 10 years old now but it works perfect. It keeps the neighborhood cats out, keeps the sand dry, and keeps most of the bugs out. My boys love it, and it has always been plenty big for 2 kids to play in it at once. So, MTCW would be to save your time and money (and put it to a different project) and just buy one at wallyworld... :dontknow:

I'm with Tim on this one. I had plans to build a box for the kids but just couldn't find the time. I was at sams one day and they had a plastic Sand/Water table for less than $50. Had a cover, drain plug, some contours on the inside (roads/rivers) and even a little umbrella you could put through the hole in the middle for sunny days (think patio table). It's at a nice standing height for the kids. I figured I could grab this as a stand in for when I built the real one and them dump it on CL. It's about to enter it's third summer of service and has been great. I can easily move it around (stores under the deck so there's no dead grass) and is easy to keep clean.

This looks like the latest version of what we have.

Trav

SkintKnuckle

New User
Martin
When my boys were little, I used a worn out tractor tire which came from a tire store, I used my jig saw to cut out the sidewall, filled it up with sand, and the boys just had a ball.

It won't rot, is non-toxic, and if they fall and bump their head it's resiliant enough to not hurt...much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS