Sand-flee sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I started building one from an old copier back in 1987, haven't finished it yet...

Actually threw away all the parts when we moved to North Carolina. But, I had it pretty much worked out in my mind. I was going to use a tilt table under the drum to adjust the thickness. No feed rollers, just push through.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well since I am shop-less I might as well make you dollar-less.:gar-La;

RickC

New User
Rick
Speaking of that .....how is the other sander working for ya ? You ready to take the " semi " out of the equation ?

Sent an email to Russ about his.

Robert - I would read into your exchange with Scott that you are happy with the one you are using. Is that correct?

sawduster

New User
Robert
It would have helped if I answered the original question , huh ? 'DOH! :BangHead:
Yes, I like it but don't use it as often as I would like. It is bulky and heavy and a PITA for my small shop because I have to store it and break it out when needed . I sand a lot of scrolled parts and portraits and can actually load 3 grits side by side to do all of the sanding at once for smaller pieces .....it do make a lot of dust though <cough cough > :gar-Bi

RickC

New User
Rick
Well - decided to take the plunge. Making a road trip to Tarboro tomorrow or Sunday to pick up the one Russ has for sale. Nothing like dropping some money to get kick started back into the shop!! :gar-Bi

Now I just need to convince my wife, that the crooked number she sees isn't really what it is! Don't know about the rest of you, but when I take a bit of a hiatus from the shop, and then try to explain why I NEED that new tool - well sometimes, I am surprised her eyes don't fall out of her head being rolled that much! :wrolleyes:

cskipper

Cathy
I'd wondered about the volume of dust. We hooked John's wide belt up and just tested it - if you didn't need a dust collection system before then, you sure would with that beast.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rick it is a good move. One bit of advice. These machines can bit if you are not focused. No you won;t loose a limb or finger but the forward turning wheel can give a nasty pinch. DAMHIK.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
I'd like to extend a heartfelt thank you to Robert, Scott, Steve and Cathy for doing the sales work for me :eusa_clap. As you all know every tool really excels at one task or another, and the Sand-Flee is the perfect machine for Rick's intended use of building a bunch of those little coin banks with the post office box door on it. I would love to see him post some pics of a completed one :icon_cheers

I think Cathy wondered about dust collection, and it's not nearly as bad as it is on an open drum sander. The area under the Sand-Flee's table is wide-open space (with a dc port) and almost all of the dust that doesn't get sucked up ends up in there, making it really easy to clean up with a shop vac.

Thanks again; let's all keep Rick motivated to build all those banks!!:icon_thum
Russ

RickC

New User
Rick
I'd wondered about the volume of dust. We hooked John's wide belt up and just tested it - if you didn't need a dust collection system before then, you sure would with that beast.

I have a cyclone type dust collection system (an older version of this version)with a hose I can hook up to it, and an overhead dust filter (similar to this). That has worked very well for me. Plus I have a dust mask to use if I end up sucking up too much dust. Between the cyclone and overhead collectors - the noise requires me wearing hearing protection! :wsmile:

RickC

New User
Rick
Rick it is a good move. One bit of advice. These machines can bit if you are not focused. No you won;t loose a limb or finger but the forward turning wheel can give a nasty pinch. DAMHIK.

Sort of like how scroll saw blades, might not cut like a table saw, but they do trim finger nails, eh? And neither of us will need to share how we know these facts, right! :nah:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sand-flee works very well with just a shop vac with a good filter.

cskipper

Cathy
Where, exactly, is the line between being a woodworker and a woodworking tool junkie??? :wconfused:
There's a line between the two?????

I am temporarily working in a carpeted bedroom so dust matters. Yes, I will submit pictures shortly (geesh! lol)

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I just love the timing on some of these forum posts. My MOM of all people just bought a Sand Flee at a woodworking show in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Mom, Dad, and sister are all scrollers, but Mom is expressing an interest in intarsia and the power take off for a sanding Mop is part of what sold her on the SandFlee.

I was wondering about the dust, and how these machines were received by the community, and all my questions are answered. Now, to get their website put together and get them all signed up for ncwoodworker.net. *sigh*

RickC

New User
Rick
Well, I "allegedly" have the one from Russ on my workbench. (Allegedly - as I know as far as this site goes, no new tool acquisition really occurs until a photo is posted!) I'll need to reattach the motor and have a project already lined up in which I will use it.

Once I get it done, I will let you know how I set it up and what it was like. However, based upon what Russ and Scott said - I am not expecting much dust. But - I'll let you know.

Rick

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I just love the timing on some of these forum posts. My MOM of all people just bought a Sand Flee at a woodworking show in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Mom, Dad, and sister are all scrollers, but Mom is expressing an interest in intarsia and the power take off for a sanding Mop is part of what sold her on the SandFlee.

I was wondering about the dust, and how these machines were received by the community, and all my questions are answered. Now, to get their website put together and get them all signed up for ncwoodworker.net. *sigh*

I hear ya. I never heard of a sand flee till Russ posted one for sale, then about a week later someone is looking for one. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS