Sale of wood furniture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Where have members had success selling wood furniture? I have a couple of pieces that don't work in our new Raleigh home and don't want to just give them away. I have had very little success with selling furniture on Craig's list so I am looking for a better venue.

David Turner

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Eliminating CraigsList would leave mostly consignment stores. Ebay would not be good as you don't want to have to ship large items.

With a consignment store you can usually either wait for it to sell at a price you like and they will take a commission or some will outright purchase it for 1/2 or 1/3 what it is worth. I used one many years ago in the Winston-Salem area - have no experience with any local to Raleigh. Maybe others do.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Where have members had success selling wood furniture? I have a couple of pieces that don't work in our new Raleigh home and don't want to just give them away. I have had very little success with selling furniture on Craig's list so I am looking for a better venue.

David Turner

With a lot of the online sources (Craigslist, Facebook groups, etc.) you're competing with yard sale prices and dealing with yard sale buyers who want a "bargain". Consignment stores are your best bet, find one that has similar quality items.

Or you could do some shows to sell items if you have enough quality products to sell. Alongside the furniture, smaller ticket items to cover booth expenses are good to have.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
David you could try one of those apps like "Letgo"

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Have you tried resale shops on consignment - might be a good option. Or you could donate and have Obama pay for it as a tax write off (not)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

David Turner

Is this furniture you bought or made?

High end, expensive stuff?

What style?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Have some pics to show us, David? +1 to Mike Davis's questions above.

If you were going to buy each of these pieces with a critical eye what would you consider paying for each one? I know, potential buyers have tight wallets and they want a really good deal which further tightens their wallet.

I don't know how consignments work as far as pricing. Who sets the "out the door" price? I'd like $50 for this piece. Well, realistically there's not a chance in #### that I'll get $25 for it. :dontknow:

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
as someone else said, most shoppers of craigslist, consigment sales, etc. are looking for a bargain -not high end stuff, and certainly not high end prices. Price it to sell and don't let you ego get in your way. Alternatively, neighbors/friends may be interested. For me, I'd just want to make sure it goes to a good home and gets used rather than sit in a warehouse or storage building.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Well the TV cabinet is cherry veneer and solid cherry. It is a Henkel Harris of about 25 years ago and heavy and solid. The sticker on the back says unit #514 and Wild Black Cherry. It is made for a 30" TV and cost, as I remember about $2750. I have the 30" TV also.

The other is a 6 drawer chest of drawers built by me for my son some 35 years ago. It has Williamburg bracket feet with hand cut dovetail corners. All drawers are hand cut dovetails. The problem with it is that it is red oak stained a light brown/yellow. It was made to hold up under a son's heavy use but he never took with him and I have been storing it for all these years. I have thought about using it as a tool cabinet.

Yes, I tried both of the neighbors and they were not interested. Those on the East has all their parents antiques and the the divorcee on the West is looking more for a complete bedroom set for guests and parents visits.

David Turner

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I used to have some special birdhouses in the Sanford Arts Colony. They charged a monthly fee, set the prices, and took 35 or 40% of the sale.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Unfortunately I'd bet that a TV cabinet for an obsolete 30" CRT TV will be a tough sell no matter what it is made out of or what it originally cost in today's world of larger flat screen TVs.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Unfortunately I'd bet that a TV cabinet for an obsolete 30" CRT TV will be a tough sell no matter what it is made out of or what it originally cost in today's world of larger flat screen TVs.

I agree, I've seen many converted to storage cabinets and such. I picked one up for $25 that I painted and made into a linen cabinet.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
It could easily be converted to a liquor cabinet with the addition of a mirror and some glass shelves.

Probably should give/donate to Salvation Army and take the tax deduction.

David Turner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS