safety latches

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodnick

New User
Nick
need help from grandparents/parents! does anyone know which kitchen cabinet safety door latches work best? I have installed the Parents magazine safety latches, and am not happy with the results. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Toddler

New User
Todd
We went with simple ones and just made sure to watch our kids and teach them not to go in the "dangerous" cabinets and drawers. The "safety latches" were just reminders for them.

But our friends have these: KidSafe Cabinet Locks: Magnetic Tot Lok Deluxe Starter Set, Baby Gates, Child Safety, Baby Proof Supplies

Their son doesn't listen as well as my kids, and those latches work very well. The "key" stays stuck on their fridge. Super annoying, but more secure than the plastic ones which break and can be defeated if you pull fast enough.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well, I can't give you much help other than to say that the best "Child Proof" latches can be a real PITA and often fairly "Adult Proof" as well :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D I'm glad I'm past that stage of my life!

Toddler

New User
Todd
I'll second that! The better they work, the more annoying they are. If you go with the ones I linked to, make sure you have a spare key or magnet that works!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
We have been preferential to the ones that are plastic cords that get shaped like a bow. Our handles are nobs, and they are pretty easy for us to open and hard as heck for the little ones. THey only work on double doors, but all of our lower cabinets are double doors.

alleng

New User
allen
we tried the safety latches,but ended up putting things up beyond their reach,its a pita,but its only for a couple of years or 5.it didnt take long for them to figure out how to open the cabinets ,most aggervating is the things we put on the doorknobs,they are hard for even adults.

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
We used the regular plastic ones for our cabinet doors. My wife designated one small cabinet for the kid. The only thing in it was some tuperware type containers and big goofy cookie cutters (not sharp). Of course a truck or two would find it's way in there also.:lol: After a little reenforcement of "this cabinet is yours to play in" we didn't have any problems.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
We use the tot locks too, and I store the key on the top of the hood above the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS