Safety Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gritz

New User
Robert
Since I have been following posts (less than two years,) I have seen several by injured members who are sharing their tool safety errors and the near tragic results with us after the fact.

It strikes me as odd that we have no tool safety discussion forum.

Oh now I see it... it's a sub-forum...

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Robert,

As you found, we do have a Health and Safety Forum and sadly several of our members have reported some severe injuries from their woodworking tools -- I think it is safe to say that all of them have admitted that they were at fault -- either not using a proper push fixture or working tired or being distracted. We all need to be attentive to every operation we take on these tools -- I'd put the table saw as the most common tool to cause injury. It is imperative that the saw is setup properly (blade parallel to miter slot; fence parallel to blade; blade height set properly; hold-downs or finger boards or push blocks are used) and that the hands of the operator always stay no less than 4 inches from the blade. I am a proponent of zero clearance inserts, since they make it nearly impossible for a thin cutoff to get stuck next to the blade and become a missle. I use a set of Board Buddies whenever ripping and a crosscut sled for the majority of panel or small part cuts. In short, I keep my hands away from that 3600 RPM slicing blade because it does not forgive even a little! I also wear personal protective gear to protect my eyes, ears and lungs.
TS_Safety_Outfeed.JPG

View image in gallery
If I am doing special operations like making a vertical cut against a fence, I use a sliding jig like this one I made for doing raised panels -- the work piece is solidly held in position and my hands are no where near the blade when the cut is made.​

Bottom line -- think first to be sure your operation is completely safe! Don't get distracted by anything and know your working limits -- never work tired!​

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Robert,

As you found, we do have a Health and Safety Forum and sadly several of our members have reported some severe injuries from their woodworking tools -- I think it is safe to say that all of them have admitted that they were at fault -- either not using a proper push fixture or working tired or being distracted. We all need to be attentive to every operation we take on these tools -- I'd put the table saw as the most common tool to cause injury. It is imperative that the saw is setup properly (blade parallel to miter slot; fence parallel to blade; blade height set properly; hold-downs or finger boards or push blocks are used) and that the hands of the operator always stay no less than 4 inches from the blade. I am a proponent of zero clearance inserts, since they make it nearly impossible for a thin cutoff to get stuck next to the blade and become a missle. I use a set of Board Buddies whenever ripping and a crosscut sled for the majority of panel or small part cuts. In short, I keep my hands away from that 3600 RPM slicing blade because it does not forgive even a little! I also wear personal protective gear to protect my eyes, ears and lungs.

If I am doing special operations like making a vertical cut against a fence, I use a sliding jig like this one I made for doing raised panels -- the work piece is solidly held in position and my hands are no where near the blade when the cut is made.​

Bottom line -- think first to be sure your operation is completely safe! Don't get distracted by anything and know your working limits -- never work tired!​

+10 Be paranoid!

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Go with your gut, if it doesn't feel right, it usually isn't. I personally find that my body will tell me when it is time to shut it down for the day. I usually listen and turn off the lights. That said I must admit, even the best of us can step into harms way and pay the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS