Safe cut for split rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
How can I safely cut a split in a 1/2" or less dowel which will be left attached on one end? I have a tablesaw and a bandsaw.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I would think that the safest way to do it would be ripping it on the bandsaw.

Depending on how long the piece of dowel rod is, you could drill a hole in a block of scrap (the diameter of the dowel), stick the end of the dowel rod into the hole and use it as a carrier for splitting the dowel as you rip it on the bandsaw. (I would use a fence of some sort on the bandsaw set to the middle of dowel from the blade.)

HTH

Wayne

(PS. I just finished shortening some 3/8" x 1 1/2" dowels on the bandsaw this afternoon. Had to knock off about 1/4" on each of 25 dowels. Took about 5 minutes on the bandsaw.)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
These dowels are anywhere from 6 to 18 inches, I am concerned about the drift on the bandsaw. That was my method of cutting certainly not the tablesaw. These are rails for using with a cross stitch setup. You make a frame to hold your work.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I would think that the safest way to do it would be ripping it on the bandsaw.

Depending on how long the piece of dowel rod is, you could drill a hole in a block of scrap (the diameter of the dowel), stick the end of the dowel rod into the hole and use it as a carrier for splitting the dowel as you rip it on the bandsaw. (I would use a fence of some sort on the bandsaw set to the middle of dowel from the blade.)

HTH

Wayne

(PS. I just finished shortening some 3/8" x 1 1/2" dowels on the bandsaw this afternoon. Had to knock off about 1/4" on each of 25 dowels. Took about 5 minutes on the bandsaw.)

+1. or a handsaw......:gar-Bi

sawduster

New User
Robert
Do you have access to a scroll saw ? Waynes idea and a scroll saw would be the safest I think, just drill your hole almost to the bottom edge . you could always put the blade in backwards for the longer ones to take advantage of the length of the back of the deck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I hadn't thought about a handsaw. I don't think I could get the cut even with a handsaw. This cut needs to be very even.

sawduster

New User
Robert
...you could even use double-backed tape and make guides for your dowels directly on your deck with scraps to keep them straight

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Make guides for the bandsaw with a hole the same size as the diameter of the dowel. Make 2 L-shaped pieces, like bookends. One for the infeed side and one for the outfeed side.

That should pretty much eliminate any drift problem.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I wouldn't use a dowel. I'd use a 1/4" round over bit to shape one edge of 1/2" stock; rip off the piece I want; crosscut the halves to length and glue a spacer between them.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Now Joe, that has possibilities. All the ideas are very good, thanks, any more ideas just keep them coming. Going back to the shop tomorrow.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the wood block & band saw idea, but I'd bore a hole the dowel diameter, split the block dead center of the hole up to the length of dowel I want to remain whole, then insert a hacksaw blade in the slit up to the rear of the band saw blade. Clamp or bolt the block back together and this would prevent any spiral drifting as well. Clamp the entire assembly to the table top & have at it. Be sure to make the clamping mechanism easy to remove so you can get it back off the band saw.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
These dowels are anywhere from 6 to 18 inches, I am concerned about the drift on the bandsaw.

So adjust for fence for the drift! Or if it is not adjustable, throw together a simple fence that is clamped on the table at the drift angle. I had to do this when I was trying to resaw some boards and found it was pretty easy after trying a few times. Then you can use the fence and get a nice even cut on the dowels.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
It's late so the discription skips over my brain so come morning after that first cup of coffee I am going to read each post so I will know exactly what I need to do. Thanks guys, once again you came through for me.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Still stuck Lorraine? If so bring it over to the shop and we can work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS