RZ Mask

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone tried these?
what do you think?
Apologies if there is already a review out there...

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hank, I have these in a couple of sizes. I bought a large last year, and went through several attempts to get the metal nose clip adjusted just right. I never did. When wearing safety goggles with these, the air exits above the mask and into the goggles causing them to fog up. With my head size, it was a stretch to get the velcro to grab, which may have contributed to to bad fit.

I got an XL sized mask from another member and i have yet to get it to fit properly.

Exchanging the filters is a royal pain, getting the plastic retainers out and back into position while keeping the new filter in position.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have the Elipse P100 and I like it better than the RZ.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I have the RZ mask and do not like it. I was hoping I would. The metal that rests on the bridge of my nose ends up hurting my nose. Maybe I got a size too small but it fits good with no fogging of my safety glasses. I since purchased the 3M mask that Marc Spagnolo recommends. 3M 6502QL Rugged Comfort Quick Latch Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator, Medium purchased from Amazon that I paid $15.14. It is the quick flip up model and works with glasses and fits under my face shield for turning. It is comfortable enough for me to wear for long periods of time. I would also like at some point to get the mask that Mike Mathews mentioned. It seems smaller than the 3M.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks!
They looked like they would be more comfortable...
Two bad reviews are quite enough!

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Hank, I have used one for the last two years and it's ok. the two styles mentioned above are more like traditional respirators, while the RZ mask is a step between disposable paper masks and a light duty respirator. It's essentially a ski mask with charcoal filters.

I wear mine for sanding, sweeping, and emptying the dust collector. I don't mind changing the filters, and don't think it is difficult at all. I don't have any issue with fit either, I actually think it is comfortable. I suspect they might be like earbuds, in that some people think they are the greatest things in the world and others find them uncomfortable. At any rate, they aren't that expensive and go on sale frequently, it might be worth a try for you.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I've always resisted getting the rzmask. It may be comfortable to some, but doesn't compare to the protection you get from a respirator. I've had a 3M 6291 half facepiece with the pink filters for years and I wear it all the time in the shop. I also don't care if the neighbors give me funny looks when I wear it mowing the lawn. :)

I also have a full facepiece 3M respirator (that I got for free, unused, from a fellow NCWWer!) with organic vapor filters that I use for finishing. It's surprisingly comfortable, and I can still wear my glasses behind the faceshield.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Not sure if you are close to one but the W-S Klingspor had a mannequin head with one that you could try if you did't mind that other's have probably had it on their face. I got it and like it but havent used it in cold weather yet so can't say if it fogs up for my face shape.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I saw it at Lowes, but I didn't write down the price, I figured the NCWW "hive mind" would at least have an opinion, but like many things I think this is a personal like / dislike - especially with the fogging issues

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I've had and use a Dust Bee Gone mask for sanding & lathe work. It works well. The nose clip is a little hard to get just right. I have a full blown respirator 3M for finishing.

Pop

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I have the RZ mask and haven’t experienced any issues. I wear glasses and for me, this has been the best mask I’ve found against fogging up. Changing the filter hasn’t been an issue for me, and no fit issues/nose piece problems. Based on my experience I would definitely recommend. But sounds like this isn’t the case for everyone. Maybe just try one on first. Like others have said it’s not replacement for a respirator but I like mine a lot.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
The RZ is what I'm using most of the time when sanding. Fits good with my glasses and even hearing protection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS