Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Not mine.

101002961_10107989468807363_6366455242908762112_o.jpg

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
80s Ryobi tools are the real deal. I used to have one of their big plunge routers and it was a beast, made in Japan. The Ryobi stuff they sell at home depot is related to the Japanese company in name only. A Chinese company pays to use the name in North America.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
And I'd like to add that the Chinese-made Ryobi has really upped its game in recent years. I have an assortment of their 18v stuff that I like. They all use the same battery and Ryobi hasn't changed their battery shape in 20 years so you can run your older tools with new batteries, a concept some manufacturers can't seem to grasp. (Well they can, they just want you to buy all new tools).

I wish I had room for that saw.

DickF

New User
Dick
I've not been impressed with the current Ryobi tools I've seen, the the old BT300 table saw I had by Ryobi was a great table saw for a really reasonable price, although there were a few weak spots. They just stopped supporting any replacement parts and I ended up getting rid of it.

Once upon a time they produced some really good stuff.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I remember that Ryobi was about the first company to offer an affordable portable planer with their 10" also back in the 80's

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
That I believe is a copy of the Hitachi that Norm made famous.I know the Hitachi was the first real and affordable wide blade resaw around in the early 80's.Might even have been around in the 70's but then again I missed some of the things that happened in the 70's.
Oh well BTW, I have access to alot of great cordless tools after working in new product development for IR and I have no trouble with the cordless Ryobi tools at all. I would not give you a dime for the yellow crap based on batteries alone

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
And I'd like to add that the Chinese-made Ryobi has really upped its game in recent years. I have an assortment of their 18v stuff that I like. They all use the same battery and Ryobi hasn't changed their battery shape in 20 years so you can run your older tools with new batteries, a concept some manufacturers can't seem to grasp. (Well they can, they just want you to buy all new tools).

I wish I had room for that saw.
Martin,
That saw would be a serious score. And its made well so maintaining it would not be frustating like some of the cheap crap out there.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
That I believe is a copy of the Hitachi that Norm made famous.I know the Hitachi was the first real and affordable wide blade resaw around in the early 80's.Might even have been around in the 70's but then again I missed some of the things that happened in the 70's.
Oh well BTW, I have access to alot of great cordless tools after working in new product development for IR and I have no trouble with the cordless Ryobi tools at all. I would not give you a dime for the yellow crap based on batteries alone

Hitachi, Ryobi and Makita all made bandsaws like this and I think they're all basically the same machine. Like the gold Makita planer/jointers that are also branded Hitachi. I have the smaller Hitachi planer/jointer combo and I believe you could also buy it in a different color scheme from Makita. Seems like there used to be a lot of brand engineering coming out of Japan.

It's a shame what's happened to Hitachi and Ryobi and (increasingly) Makita.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Hitachi, Ryobi and Makita all made bandsaws like this and I think they're all basically the same machine. Like the gold Makita planer/jointers that are also branded Hitachi. I have the smaller Hitachi planer/jointer combo and I believe you could also buy it in a different color scheme from Makita. Seems like there used to be a lot of brand engineering coming out of Japan.

Well lets hope Metabo is a good steward for Hitachi cause having alot of choices and they having lots of competition is good for all.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I only think of them for fishing reels. I looked at the specs for the tools at HD. Way below equivelent. I'll stick with Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch... Outdoor stuff, E-go or Green. ( or the clones they sell. I have several Kobalt which seem to be Green Machine)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

Taylor - do you have the Hitachi P12R like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-P12RA-32-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0000223K2 Or the bigger/older F1000?

DavidK - my eyes might be deceiving me, but I think I see a thrust bearing assembly in picture number 4. If just the side guides are missing, they are just made from simple phenolic sheets anyways.

The saw does look similar to my Hitachi CB75F, but my Hitachi has a rack and pinion fence, a rack and pinion blade guard adjuster, a wheel brake and dust collection. Looks like it takes about the same size blades 111" Should be a stout performer if all the proprietary bits are in good condition.

-Mark

DavidK

New User
David
Taylor - do you have the Hitachi P12R like this? https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-P12RA-32-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0000223K2 Or the bigger/older F1000?

DavidK - my eyes might be deceiving me, but I think I see a thrust bearing assembly in picture number 4. If just the side guides are missing, they are just made from simple phenolic sheets anyways.

The saw does look similar to my Hitachi CB75F, but my Hitachi has a rack and pinion fence, a rack and pinion blade guard adjuster, a wheel brake and dust collection. Looks like it takes about the same size blades 111" Should be a stout performer if all the proprietary bits are in good condition.

-Mark

Mark,
Yes, the upper thrust bearing is in place but the side guides and their holder are missing. It wouldn't be really hard to make something, but I decided I don't need yet another project.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Taylor - do you have the Hitachi P12R like this? Hitachi P12RA 12-9/32-Inch Planer and 6-1/8-Inch Jointer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) - Power Planers - Amazon.com Or the bigger/older F1000?

-Mark

Yup, that's my machine. The P12.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS