Rustic cedar kitchen island

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
This is a housewarming gift for my daughter. Okay, she moved a year ago . So this is a re-warming gift. It has an oak frame with plywood bones. It's wrapped with rough 4/4 cedar I got at an NCWW barn find purchase a few years ago. The top is air dried walnut slabs from GPS Hardwoods in Kernersville. The slides , wheels and rustic hardware are from Richelieu in Greensboro. The cedar is finished with shelac, and the top is coated with General Finishes ARM-R-SEAL.
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Well done, Tim; it looks beautiful! I am sure this is destined to being a family heirloom!

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Very cool Tim! At first glance it looked like you had a childproof bar going across the front - for a very strong child!

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work! I like how the hardware, wood and overall design fit into the rustic theme. Did you design the piece as well?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
The design started with a picture of one my daughter wanted to buy...... Or is she smarter than me?? Any way, the rest was mine. The barn doors have a pair of small rare earth magnets inset in the top corner to hold them closed. The sliding doors don,t leave much clearance for drawer pulls , so I went with a half moon finger cut out for those two on the right.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece Tim! Thanks for sharing the process photos. It really helps with developing my own plans as I go through this world :)

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Looks great Tim. Looks real professional, could be the piece in a magazine that someone is building for their kid (as opposed to the other way around). Nice work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS