Runout on Longworth Chuck

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Some years ago I bought one of Ron Browns Best Longworth Chucks for my Jet 1642 wood lathe. This is a plywood one. I experimented with it but it didnt run true.It had a slight wobble so it hung up in shop.I needed it today so I drug it back out. I tried again but still not good.I was going to use it to clean up the bottom of a bowl but I dont know what to do to it to make it run true.Any ideas?

It fits good in my chuck...Looks like it should be good but it isnt.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Do you have the jaws of your chuck in the correct positions? Usually the jaws are numbered and the chuck has corresponding numbers stamped on the perimeter so you know where to put the jaws on. That way they stay concentric.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ignore the chuck, concentrate on what you are turning. Shim the turning with wedges and tape. Takes a little time. That is one reason I built a vacuum chuck system.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Do you have the jaws of your chuck in the correct positions? Usually the jaws are numbered and the chuck has corresponding numbers stamped on the perimeter so you know where to put the jaws on. That way they stay concentric.
Yes they are in the correct location. I have 3 chucks that have been used a bunch.I rarely change and put other jaws on. I’ve got to take another look and see if I see anything. The plywood appears to be solid.. not warped.Everything is seated in chuck good .

djvanduy

New User
Jason
I made my own longworth once upon a time. It looked like a neat concept. Functionally though I never found it to hold the bowl to my satisfaction, or had issues with it running true, etc. Overall I found jamb chucking to perform much better. It would leave a little nib (from the tenon) on the bottom of the bowl that you have to carve off but that was simple enough to deal with.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS