Rules for the "For Sale / Wanted" forum.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@iclark The items appear to be from the OP's personal collection, so they would qualify as "single time sales," and there's nothing in the Marketplace Policy that specifically prevents a member from selling an item in that manner. This is a case of "the spirit of the law," versus "the letter of the law." If members of the BoD have seen the posts in question, they may decide to discuss it at their next meeting.

@ScottM The "auction" would be held in the comments.

Nereston

New User
Nereston
Permissions reset when it's been more than 30 days since your last login. You'll be able to post in the "For Sale/Wanted" section tomorrow
I'm seeking to sell a scrollsaw I have refurbed, but I am struggling with the rules. Maybe I am too new or something. How do I seek permission?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm seeking to sell a scrollsaw I have refurbed, but I am struggling with the rules. Maybe I am too new or something. How do I seek permission?
Permission is automatic, if you can post in the for sale forum you have permission. If you post a sale outside the for sale forum you may be censured.

Nereston

New User
Nereston
I have no wish to break any rules. I am stumbling along on this site, hampered by my own technological ignorance. (I voted in the '72 election.)

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Nereston You have to achieve User status to be able to post in For Sale/Wanted. That requires being a member for at least 30 days, and making at least 5 posts. Even though you've been a member for several years, you didn't meet the post requirement until today (1/24/23). You'll be able to make posts in For Sale/ Wanted tomorrow.

In order to maintain User status you'll need to log in at least once every 30 days

MikeMen

Mike
Senior User
Hi,

I think I've met the requirement for promotion to User and am wondering if the promotion will occur automatically or if there is some action I have to take.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi,

I think I've met the requirement for promotion to User and am wondering if the promotion will occur automatically or if there is some action I have to take.
The promotion software is currently not working. I will send a message to our Webmaster to see if you qualify and to manually force the update.

iclark

Ivan
User
when someone asks for my PM, wha do they mean? Phone #, email or something else
Most forums seem to call them Private Messages (PM's). Here they call them DM's (Direct Messages??).
When someone asks you for a PM or DM, it is likely someone who can not send you one to start the conversation.

They are asking you to send them a DM.

New Users cannot initiate private conversations but they can reply to them. If someone does not login for 30 days, they revert to New User status until the day after they log back in here.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
when someone asks for my PM, wha do they mean? Phone #, email or something else
As previously stated: PM is short for "Private Message." Some members may say "DM" instead. The forum software calls them "Conversations."

There are two ways to start Conversations:
  • At the top of the page, to the right of your user name, there's an envelope icon. Click on it, and you'll see a button on the right-hand side of the page—above the sponsors—that says "Start Conversation."
  • The easier method is to hover your mouse pointer over someone's user name and click "Start Conversation."
If you are unable to start a conversation with someone, you are either still a new user (see the last sentence of Ivan's post), or they have disabled conversations in their profile settings.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS