Rubio Monocoat - good, bad, ugly - what is the skin

LoveTheSmellofSawdust

New User
Cheap Azz
I am planning on using some Rubio Monocoat on a piece I need to finish. I found about from YouTube from the gut who makes $$$$ slab stuff.

Is this worth the money?
Any hidden knowledge I should know about?

Did you have any issues using this product.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have used it. It is easy to work with and does not require a high level of application experience....... but, to me it was pricier than I thought it it should be.
Like EVERYTHING in finishing ... Wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
Prep and preclean before application will make the finish great.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
It will depend on your application. I studied this product a while back and concluded it is just another oil finish with great marketing. I had a client try it over high grade (AA?) 5/4" x 8" white oak flooring and was quite disappointed with how it held up shortly thereafter. For non-flooring or non-wearing surfaces, where hardness isn't so critical, it's probably fine. But oil and wax finishes do not have the chemistry to resist moisture or improve surface toughness like a polymer film finish such as is usually needed for working desktops, countertops, flooring, etc.

Echd

C
User
I would like to concur with Mr. Hall. I've seen some really nice looking pieces online done with Rubio monocoat and it certainly appears to work well, but there appears to have been a sudden hard marketing push along with quite a few YouTubers and the like using it in a fairly short timeframe. It got me looking into it so the marketing certainly worked, and I'm sure the product does too... but that's serious money for the amount!

Osmo PolyX is a little cheaper as a similar hard wax oil alternative.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
I haven’t used it but agree with others that it Rubio is all over the internet and I hadn’t heard of it until recently. I’ve been happy with water-based offerings GF, Bona and even minwax spar varnish (oil).

Matt Parker

New User
Matt
It's definitely expensive, but a little goes a long way. You'll want to make small batches and keep your lids tight because air exposure will cause it to skin over in the cans. I prefer to use Osmo PolyX and get identical results for a fraction of the cost and there's no mixing involved. Only downside is I've had a hard time sourcing Osmo lately. Another one to look at is Simple Finish from the guys over at makerbrandco.com. The application of that looks super easy as well.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
It's definitely expensive, but a little goes a long way. You'll want to make small batches and keep your lids tight because air exposure will cause it to skin over in the cans. I prefer to use Osmo PolyX and get identical results for a fraction of the cost and there's no mixing involved. Only downside is I've had a hard time sourcing Osmo lately. Another one to look at is Simple Finish from the guys over at makerbrandco.com. The application of that looks super easy as well.
Woodcraft now sells Osmo. Love this product!

Matt Parker

New User
Matt
Woodcraft now sells Osmo. Love this product!
Sweet! Good to know. I'd been getting it from a flooring company that also had all of the pigmented options as well but them and Amazon seem to be going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment.

smurg

New User
Marty
Sweet! Good to know. I'd been getting it from a flooring company that also had all of the pigmented options as well but them and Amazon seem to be going through a bit of a dry spell at the moment.

I get mine from Midwest Flooring. Their website said they were sold out of 3054 Satin, but I called and they were able to take my payment info over the phone and shipped it out.

I don't know if they keep minimal stock on hand for walk-ins that they don't advertise online or if their inventory system is off, but that worked for me.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used Odies oil on my front door as well as the wood on a few tools.
I have to say it has been the easiest to apply and is holding up VERY well!
Pad it on, wipe off the excess and buff.
My test for the front door was specifically for maintenance with a scuff or as the sun bakes it - with the door hanging, I just apply some more product, run it off and buff! (SUPER easy)

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I used Rubio on a walnut bed I built a while back. Seems to me that end result is the same as BLO

joemartinez316

Joe
User
I have used Rubio on many of my projects and absolutely love the stuff. Has held up very well for the last year with no maintenance. Be sure to apply another coat if you would like a little more sheen.

pcwood

New User
PCwood
I have used it in several tables I have built and always get great results. I use it mostly because it looks great but it is also the easiest finish to apply I have ever worked with. Like others have me mentioned it is expensive but a little does go a long way.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS