Rubber Gloves… What kind do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I wear nitrile exam gloves when I clean up my equipment after spraying lacquer. It seems the lacquer thinner goes right through them (no holes) and my hands end up wet and burning from the thinner. I even tried wearing two gloves on one hand. I buy them in a box of 100 for $8.00 with free shipping from amazon. Is there a better type of glove to use? Thanks.

Red

BWSmith

New User
BW
Blue nitrile from Wally world.About the cheapest there is.Every once in awhile one will let go,but have found they work well.I don't wear them for hours on end though.Our cleaning station is pretty sophisticated so we're not "elbow deep" in solvents.They won't holdup to anything severe.

Not sure I should even admit to this....oh well.If a person wants to "re-use" these gloves,you can take an air nozzle(the kind with a long,4" or so 1/4" tube on end)and blow air into the fitted glove.It'll balloon up and pop right off.This isn't when they've been exposed to harsh chemicals,chuck those.....but waterbourne stuff sees us reusing them?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The cheap latex ones from DG is what I use

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
HF Nitrile here or HD in a pinch. If I am handling anything that will go through them, I have some rubber coated chemical gloves I was issued a while back.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have some rubber coated chemical gloves I was issued a while back.
I use the same type gloves to pull hot pork on a pig picken. People ask me where I get them. Tell um that our son works for American Airlines (ground support) and there is always a bucket of them on the lavatory service trucks. Nitrile's come from HF.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Now that's just evil.

I use the same type gloves to pull hot pork on a pig picken. People ask me where I get them. Tell um that our son works for American Airlines (ground support) and there is always a bucket of them on the lavatory service trucks. Nitrile's come from HF.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Sounds like I'm using what most people are when I clean my spray gun. I will just have to deal with the thinner making its way through the nitrile material. Thanks.

Red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I thought PVC, but some searching turned up this interesting read on glove selection for Lacquer thinner

http://www.ansellpro.com/main/technicalCenter_faq2.asp?fid=16

I will have to think about using this in the future for metal prep degreasing.

Interesting article. Something to think about. My finger tips are all very dry from getting saturated in lacquer thinner. I need to find something else to wear or double up on the gloves and clean quicker. Thanks for posting it.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sounds like I'm using what most people are when I clean my spray gun. I will just have to deal with the thinner making its way through the nitrile material. Thanks.

Red

Nitrile is a pretty good choice for most chemicals around the shop. However, lacquer thinner is an evil mix as you've found and nitrile doesn't cut it.

For your own health & safety why not buy the appropriate gloves for lacquer thinner? They're not cheap but they're reusable to a point and I assume that you are not using lacquer thinner on a daily basis. So put them on the shelf next to the nitriles for "as needed" use.

http://www.amazon.com/Ansell-Barrier-02-100-Chemical-Resistant/dp/B007N8UFXY

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Kimberly Clark Purple Nitrile from my finish supplier, work the best of all the nitrile gloves I have used. Heavier than most plus purple is much gooder color :}

richlife

New User
Rich
This is a great and really important question -- even if you only need them once in a while. The problem with lacquer thinner and other mixtures of these chemicals (thanks for the link with the breakdown, Mark) is not just what they might do to your hands (like drying) but the fact that these chemicals are absorbed through the skin and are known as systemic carcinogens. It's not just the drying or burns, it's the potential for harm long after.

I don't use lacquer, but I do have most of these chemicals and other combinations in my shop. I keep several different types of gloves in case I might need them. I really appreciate the Amazon link for the Ansell gloves in case I need to go a step further.

BBQ gloves?! It seems to me these have a better purpose in life. :D And I need to go smoke a Boston Butt or two.

Rich

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
This is a great and really important question -- even if you only need them once in a while. The problem with lacquer thinner and other mixtures of these chemicals (thanks for the link with the breakdown, Mark) is not just what they might do to your hands (like drying) but the fact that these chemicals are absorbed through the skin and are known as systemic carcinogens. It's not just the drying or burns, it's the potential for harm long after.
Rich

Those are my thoughts and why I asked the question. I'm trying to find a glove that can withstand the 5 minutes or so it takes to clean my spray gun parts. The Kimberly Clark Purple Nitrile gloves (thicker than most?) are available on Walmart's site for just under $13. That may be an option. Any other thoughts, keep them coming. Thanks.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Those are my thoughts and why I asked the question. I'm trying to find a glove that can withstand the 5 minutes or so it takes to clean my spray gun parts.

Your answer for lacquer thinner resistant gloves is in my post above, dated 10/10. They're suitable for full immersion for at least 480 minutes without permeation.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Your answer for lacquer thinner resistant gloves is in my post above, dated 10/10. They're suitable for full immersion for at least 480 minutes without permeation.

I got it. I was hoping there was a little more affordable version that people are wearing. That's all. Thanks

Red

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
I have started using a heavy-duty version of the nitrile gloves that I have used for years. Unlike their thinner cousins these thicker gloves are much less prone to tearing. They cost more than the thinner gloves but they really hold up. I get mine at Lowes in the paint dept.

There are cleaning solvents that are a lot safer to use than lacquer thinner. You can buy heavy gloves that are specially formulated to resist most common chemicals, including lacquer thinner. I am not aware of any of the throw-away gloves that can stand up well to LT.

Pete

I wear nitrile exam gloves when I clean up my equipment after spraying lacquer. It seems the lacquer thinner goes right through them (no holes) and my hands end up wet and burning from the thinner. I even tried wearing two gloves on one hand. I buy them in a box of 100 for $8.00 with free shipping from amazon. Is there a better type of glove to use? Thanks.

Red

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I use different gloves for different tasks, but my go-to choice is a quality pair of fitted microcotton lined neoprene chemical gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors