Roy Underhill: Winter Seminar, Smoothing and Scraping

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Oh happy days are upon us in the heart of North Carolina......

I attended the Jan. 13th Winter Seminar session at the Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. Ran from 6 to 9pm.

First off, if you are on the fence, jump off it and sign up today!

I wanted to see how this went before picking more sessions, now I regret my hesitation, as most are now full....

The class was lead off by Roy himself. He did a wonderful overview of stock prep with some split walnut from a river dam in Alamance. Scrub, jointer, smoother and scraper. All the while regaling us with witty anecdotes and tales of historical merit.

He has really taken to using a hand held digital camcorder plugged into an 18th century 42" LCD flat panel tv :) But, it really was fun to see up close some of the things that happened to both the tools and the wood.

He had several Assistant Professors that make up his stable of woodworking learnitude. A man many of us know from Edwards Mountain, Bill Anderson. A chair maker renowed Elia Bizzarri . And the Man with his finger on the pulse of Thomas Day and period reproductions, Jerome Bias.

Roy lead us in the smoothing plane session. We were given tuned up planes and a board and set loose to produce some seriously thin shavings. Lots of hard work going on for sure.

After that, Elia lead us into card scrapers from prep through use. In contrast, Bill shared his more precise jigs for prep and some hilarity ensued.

We spent time fussing with scrapers. Towards the end, Bill showed us some great info on Cabinet Scrapers and shared some thoughts on their use.

All in all, it was just what I dreamed of. Lots of great info, plenty of demo and enough hands on to leave my back sore enough to know I got my monies worth :)

We are so fortunate to have such wonderful resources available to us in the area. Can't wait to spend more time down in Pittsboro!

Jim

nelsone

New User
Ed
Come on, man!!!

worthless_without_pics.gif
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/962/worthless_without_pics.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS