Roy Underhill Shows True Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member

roy_underhill_bsa_001.jpg

SEE NEXT POST DOWN.
I hope this is readable, I don't know how to rotate it. This article appeared in our local newspaper yesterday. I used to work with this troop in another lifetime when my son was in the troop.

George

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Here you go George. :icon_thum My neck was starting to hurt. :wconfused: :gar-La;

roy_underhill_bsa_0011.jpg

What a wonderful experience that will be for that troop. It's a shame that the lack of availability of those tools have caused the badge to be discontinued, but good for Roy for stepping up and providing his knowledge and resources. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

gator

George
Corporate Member
Thanks Trent. Someday, before I'm 80 I might learn how to use all the capability of the computer.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

George

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks Trent. Someday, before I'm 80 I might learn how to use all the capability of the computer.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

George

No worries George. :icon_thum I've never been willing to spend the $$$ on photo shop, so I've been using irfanview for a few years now. I'm sure there are better options out there, but this has worked for me. It's free to download. All I really need is to resize photos, rotate them, sharpen them and sometimes make color corrections.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I hope this is readable, I don't know how to rotate it.

Hey gator - you can do this right in NCWW without learning any other software. Just go to the page in the gallery for you photo (click the image in the gallery). Then just above the photo, on the right, you'll see the Photo Options menu. Pull that down and choose Edit Photo. You'll see another page with a smaller version of the picture. Just below the picture choose the Rotate CW option. It will rotate the image and show it to you - click the Submit Changes button and you're done!

Hope that helps!
Chris

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
No worries George. :icon_thum I've never been willing to spend the $$$ on photo shop, so I've been using irfanview for a few years now. I'm sure there are better options out there, but this has worked for me. It's free to download. All I really need is to resize photos, rotate them, sharpen them and sometimes make color corrections.

If/when you need something more powerful, try Paint.net (assuming you're on winders). Powerful and free.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
I took Roy's dovetail class at his school at the beginning of the month. He was talking about this exact 'project' at the end of the day. Was talking about the large amount he wanted to cover for it, and fitting it into the limited time. Was talking about making wood shingles. Sounded like he was excited to offer the opportunity to do it for the scouts.

Len

New User
Len
I looked up the requirements for this merit badge on the BSA merit badge site:

Requirements for the Carpentry merit badge:

1. Demonstrate the use of the rule, square, level, plumb-line, miter, chalk-line and bevel.
  2. Demonstrate the proper way to drive, set, and clinch a nail, draw a spike with a claw-hammer, and to join two pieces of wood with screws.
  3. Show correct use of the cross-cut saw and of the rip-saw.
  4. Show how to plane the edge, end and the broad surface of a board.
  5. Demonstrate how to lay shingles.
  6. Make a simple article of furniture for practical use in the home or on the home grounds, finished in a workmanlike manner, all work to be done without assistance.
These are the same as the original 1911 requirements, and I can't quite figure out what tools this would take that aren't "readily available" today. The requirement for shingles just involves laying them, so no work with a froe would be required. Any ideas on what might be considered hard to find tools for completing these requirements??

Len

gator

George
Corporate Member
I looked up the requirements for this merit badge on the BSA merit badge site:

[/LIST]
These are the same as the original 1911 requirements, and I can't quite figure out what tools this would take that aren't "readily available" today. The requirement for shingles just involves laying them, so no work with a froe would be required. Any ideas on what might be considered hard to find tools for completing these requirements??

Len

I don't know that any of them are "unavailable" in the marketplace. But, other than woodworkers, how many households do you suppose have bevel gauges, hand saws (both crosscut and rip), plumb lines, chalklines, and a variety of planes on hand? I don't think that many families would rush out to buy the tools for a merit badge. You could be talking a couple of hundred dollars unless you got lucky on Craigslist for some of the items (planes for example). So, yeah, the items are "available", but available to the average household, probably not.

George

Don Alexander

New User
Don
welllllll ........... i wonder how many of those kids have computers, XBOX 360's, Ipods, ATV's, or any of a number of other pricey things that were happily supplied by those same parents? nothing wrong with any of those things at all just seems a bit unlikely that a few hand tools (pretty easy to find actually) would be deal breakers because of price

be that as it may, kudos to Underhill and also the Boy Scout Troop for encouraging kids to learn to do something useful with their time and energy :wsmile:

DWSmith

New User
David
A woodworking merit badge. You would think that would be a standard badge and not thrown under the carpet and hidden. No wonder our fine young people have little idea of what a saw is much less how to use one.

Here is another one for you...The local high schools and most of the community colleges don't have shop/industrial arts classes anymore. I called all the local community colleges and asked if their industrial arts department had any students who would like to intern in my shop. I got NO interest.

Roy Underhill is a treasure for NC.

gator

George
Corporate Member
A woodworking merit badge. You would think that would be a standard badge and not thrown under the carpet and hidden. No wonder our fine young people have little idea of what a saw is much less how to use one.

Roy Underhill is a treasure for NC.

This is a historic 'Carpentry' merit badge. They do still have a 'Woodwork' badge

Requirements

1. Do the following:
    1. Show that you know first aid for injuries that could occur while woodworking, including splinters, scratches, cuts, severe bleeding, and shock. Tell what precautions must be taken to help prevent loss of eyesight or hearing, and explain why and when it is necessary to use a dust mask.
    2. Earn the Totin' Chip recognition.
    3. Tell your counselor what precautions you take to safely use your tools.
  2. Do the following:
    1. Describe how timber is grown, harvested, and milled. Tell how lumber is cured, seasoned, graded, and sized.
    2. Collect and label blocks of six kinds of wood useful in woodworking. Describe the chief qualities of each. Give the best uses of each.
  3. Do the following:
    1. Show the proper care, use, and storage of all working tools and equipment that you own or use at home or school.
    2. Sharpen correctly the cutting edges of two different tools.
  4. Using a saw, plane, hammer, brace, and bit, make something useful of wood. Cut parts from lumber that you have squared and measured from working drawings.
  5. Create your own carpentry project. List the materials you will need to complete your project, and then build your project. Keep track of the time you spend and the cost of the materials.
  6. Do any TWO of the following:
    1. Make working drawings of a project needing (1) beveled or rounded edges OR curved or incised cuttings, OR (2) miter, dowel, or mortise and tenon joints. Build this project.
    2. Make something for which you have to turn duplicate parts on a lathe.
    3. Make a cabinet, box, or something else with a door or lid fastened with inset hinges.
    4. Help make and repair wooden toys for underprivileged children OR help carry out a carpentry service project approved by your counselor for a charitable organization.
  7. Talk with a cabinetmaker or carpenter. Find out about the training, apprenticeship, career opportunities, work conditions, work hours, pay rates, and union organization that woodworking experts have in your area.
And a 'Wood Carving' badge

Requirements

1. Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while wood carving, including minor cuts and scratches and splinters.
  2. Do the following:
    1. Earn the Totin' Chip recognition.
    2. Discuss with your merit badge counselor your understanding of the Safety Checklist for Carving.
  3. Do the following:
    1. Explain to your counselor, orally or in writing, the care and use of five types of tools that you may use in a carving project.
    2. Tell your counselor how to care for and use several types of sharpening devices, then demonstrate that you know how to use these devices.
  4. Using a piece of scrap wood or a project on which you are working, show your merit badge counselor that you know how to do the following:
    1. Paring cut
    2. Basic cut and push cut
    3. Score line
    4. Stop cut
  5. Tell why different woods are used for different projects. Explain why you chose the type of wood you did for your projects in requirements 6 and 7.
  6. Plan your own or select a project from the Wood Carving merit badge pamphlet and complete a simple carving in the round.
  7. Complete a simple low-relief OR a chip carving project.
George

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
My son recently completed this merit badge with his troop, so it is doable. Not only do you need the tools, but you need one or more qualified dads to teach the course. I am sure those taking the class with Roy will have access to much better tools and instruction.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Good on him: :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

However, I always thought of Roy's colors as black&blue with a little blood red for accent. That's why I can really identify with his programs :wsmile:

Go

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
This thread solved a problem for me! My boys (6yrs) love to build stuff in my workshop, and I think they're ready to expand their horizons beyond hammers and nails. I wasn't quite ready to hand them a saw. My smallest drill/driver is way too torquey for them, I think. So I was stuck. This thread reminded me that I picked up a few braces a while back and a collection of auger bits. I pulled them out, sharpened a few of the bits and took them for a spin (heh heh). I'm not sure they have the strength/weight to use even the smaller bits, but I think we'll give it a go this weekend!

James Davis

New User
James Davis
This thread solved a problem for me! My boys (6yrs) love to build stuff in my workshop, and I think they're ready to expand their horizons beyond hammers and nails. I wasn't quite ready to hand them a saw. My smallest drill/driver is way too torquey for them, I think. So I was stuck. This thread reminded me that I picked up a few braces a while back and a collection of auger bits. I pulled them out, sharpened a few of the bits and took them for a spin (heh heh). I'm not sure they have the strength/weight to use even the smaller bits, but I think we'll give it a go this weekend!

Chris,

I think this is a good Idea. But, I think you should start them out using an eggbeater drill. It is fun to turn and not as difficult when you are small and attention spans are short. They can be found rather inexpensively if you look, but some can get pricey if they are the ones that collectors like. The cheaper ones leave holes just as round and deep.

Also, a coping saw is a good way to introduce the smaller ones to the world of making a big piece of wood into two pieces of wood. Again, they are cheap and the blades are disposable.

Don made a good point about the kids having every toy available but not having the tools to get the merit badge. While I was at the flea market this fall, I had several dads stop and look at the old tools that I was selling and ask about them for their kids. But they were not willing to pay $8.00 for an eggbeater drill with bits or even $8.00 for a brace and a couple bits that I was willing to cut the price on to help out the scouts.

I applaud Roy for what he is doing and hope he continues to find ways to get more and more kids started down the slippery slope that we all here are sliding down.

James

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
This doesn't surprise me a bit. Roy Underhill has displayed nothing but class.
My son earned his woodworking and carving merit badges some eons ago. I'd never heard of the carpentry merit badge. How sad such things are disontinued.
I can just imagine the replacement badges - nintendo camping, sega cycling, playstation hiking, and maybe one day wii hammering. I've nothing against such games - I still have and occasionally use an original atari.
Maybe NCWW members could let their local scout councils know there are people willing and equipped to volunteer to help their local scout troops with their woodworking merit badges...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I think this is a good Idea. But, I think you should start them out using an eggbeater drill. It is fun to turn and not as difficult when you are small and attention spans are short. They can be found rather inexpensively if you look, but some can get pricey if they are the ones that collectors like. The cheaper ones leave holes just as round and deep.

That is a good idea, I hadn't considered those. I'm sure they would be easier to use. Only problem is, IIRC, they only make small holes. My boys are always wanting larger holes in things - finger holes, eye holes, etc.

OTOH, the way my 1" auger bit dug into a maple scrap last night, you'd need a much stronger man than I to turn the drill! Ended up splitting the board :( Did have pretty good luck with the #3-#8 bits, though. Maybe this is a pipe dream, I dunno.

So I gather that you have an egg beater drill and some bits in good working order that would be suitable for kids to play with? Willing to ship it to Raleigh?

C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors