routing routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosaic

New User
David
I would appreciate advice on a trivet project i have in mind. I plan to make a large number of these: The plan is to use solid cherry squares. sau 10" by 10", and 3/4" thick. on the top side, I'd like to cut a square form, 8" by 8" and down into the wood 1/4" deep. Into the square cut out, I'd like to compose a stone mosaic with 1cm stone cubes. Then I'll grout the mosaic. It will protrude above the top of the wood trvet surface by 2-3 cms.

How best to cut out the 8" square? Using a plunger router? What horsepowr? What options or accessories should look for in a router? I have a solid table to set it on.

I've never used a router before and need to be educated!

Thanks very much for your time and attention. David

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would use a router with a I guess hinge mortising bit or something wide cut with a flat bottom that has a guide bearing at the top so that your bearing can ride against the template you have to cut. Once routed you can square up the corners with a chisel.

mosaic

New User
David
Thanks Travis. I don't know what a I guess mortising bit is. Is there a picture of theis bit anywhere on the web? I've checked out a few informational sites on wordworking. Do I use a plugger router with a template?

David

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Something like this would do the trick and it has a bearing to folow along your template. I would probably clamp the work piece and use the router hand held. A router table is a bit more dangerous for this type of application and you really can't sere what you are doing. You will need to square up the corners with a chisel unless you want them rounded. I don't know anything about that particular vendor, that is just the first one I found doing a search. Freud, CMT, Amana, Whiteside and others make god quality bits. 1.5 hp will be enough unless you plan to do a lot of these. If you go with a larger diameter bit, you would also want to consider a variable speed router.

M

McRabbet

Let me amplify on Travis' answer. First and foremost, learn to use a router safely and properly -- here is a basic link to get you started. Practice on scrap wood to learn how the tool cuts (and please wear safety glasses and ear protection!) Always be sure to secure the workpiece to the benchtop -- the best method is with a vise equipped with dogs and a benchtop with dogs, too. But, lacking them, you could use hot melt glue and stick it to a larger board that you can clamp to your work surface out of the range of the router base (if you sandwich paper in between the workpiece and plywood, it may be easier to break apart and to clean up the back of your trivets; I assume you do not want screw holes in the backs of your trivets). Use a flat bottom cutting bit and an appropriate guide bushing -- most 2-flute straight cutting bits have cutting edges on the bottom, too. You need to make a template out of MDF that is cut to the shape of your cutout -- it's opening depends on the bit size and the guide bushing you use. Here is a link that should clarify use of bushings and a template. Use the template to cut the outside of your opening and then remove it. Remove the bushing and reset the router bit to insure you are at the correct depth for the remainder of the depressed area. The area you are cutting out is fairly large, so you need to make passes from one side of the depression back-and-forth until you reach the other side. Be sure to cut out material thoroughly, because the field you cut out must also support the router base. Square up the corners with a sharp chisel and mallet.

You can do this with a mid-sized fixed base router -- I would recommend a Porter-Cable or Dewalt or Makita router in the 1-1/2 to 2 HP range with 1/2" bit collet and good quality carbide bits. (To start a cut, just tilt the router at an angle and let the bit plunge into the work -- practice on some scrap wood before you go production).

Hope this helps. Rob

mosaic

New User
David
This is a great web site!

Thank you all for your sage advice. I've read your replies and checked out the links several of you have suggested and am learning a lot. I was tempted when I began this project to just buy a router off the shelf at Lowes and hope that later on I had guessed right. I've learned that the routing process is quite a refined skill and the equipment has to be tailored to the project.

Thanks to this website, I have been able to see what I'm getting into before I make the investment, and now I have a good idea of what I need to buy and the attitude necessary to safely proceed.

Thanks very much. I'm sure I'll have other questions and I'll let you know how I make out. Hopefully, I'll post a picture(if I can figure out how to do that).:)

David

M

McRabbet

mosaic said:
This is a great web site!

Thank you all for your sage advice. ... Hopefully, I'll post a picture(if I can figure out how to do that).:)

David

David, You'll need a Photo Gallery for your pics -- go to Other Links on the main menu bar and click on Request Photo Gallery. One will be set up for you by one of the website staff. Then, click on Forums and select the Photo Gallery FAQs and read how to do your uploads. If you need help, just ask! :-D

BTW, if you are interested in being part of a woodworking club service the western part of the state, go back to Other Links and select User Control Panel. At the bottom left, select Group Memberships and request to join the Western NC Woodworking Club Interest Group. We are just getting started, but will keep you informed as plans evolve.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS