Routing Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfre

New User
Manfre
I picked up a Triton 3 1/4 HP from Woodcraft a couple of weeks ago and got a great deal on the Kreg table at the Charlotte show. I need to get a split for the hose so I can also connect the under table dust port on the router.

fmj87b.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Nice set up.

I have some plastic DC fittings that I am not using, 4" wyes, elbows, blast gates. Let me know if you can use any of these for your new toy.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Nice set up.

I have some plastic DC fittings that I am not using, 4" wyes, elbows, blast gates. Let me know if you can use any of these for your new toy.
I'll let you know. The main thing I need is to find the right sized hose for the triton. From what I've been reading, there is a fair amount of guess work involved despite it having a listed OD.

DavidD

New User
David
I have this router. To connect the Triton's dust port, I got some 1-1/4" pool vac hose from Lowes. The connector was soft enough to fit tightly into the router's dust port. From there, I've just been using a universal step down reducer from 2-1/2" hose. It works okay, but I still have to get the rest of the pieces to complete the wye when attached to the table.

Hope this helps.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Looks like this gloat is now a rant. The router died today while cutting a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado with a freud up cut spiral bit. It seized up after cutting less than a foot. I guess I'm going to find out how well Triton is with customer service. :kamahlitu

Glennbear

Glenn
Looks like this gloat is now a rant. The router died today while cutting a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado with a freud up cut spiral bit. It seized up after cutting less than a foot. I guess I'm going to find out how well Triton is with customer service. :kamahlitu

Since it is only a couple weeks old perhaps contacting Woodcraft first might expedite things ? :wsmile:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Sorry to hear about the failure of your new toy -- a real downer for sure.

Out of curiousity, when you say "seized up" are you referring to the bearings, a burned out speed controller, or worse still a burned out motor?

Your failure certainly wasn't related to the task, I've pushed by 1HP Bosch Colt harder than that (and my 1-2/3HP PC 690 and 2-1/4HP PC 890's much harder still!).

I agree, if you are not far from the Woodcraft you purchased it from that would be the quickest route -- so long as they have another unit in stock they should be able to get your unit replaced the same day. Or, if you prefer, they may even offer you the option to upgrade to a different brand router. Just bring your receipt with you unless you are already on a first-name basis with the store owner.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Sorry to hear about the failure of your new toy -- a real downer for sure.

Out of curiousity, when you say "seized up" are you referring to the bearings, a burned out speed controller, or worse still a burned out motor?

Your failure certainly wasn't related to the task, I've pushed by 1HP Bosch Colt harder than that (and my 1-2/3HP PC 690 and 2-1/4HP PC 890's much harder still!).

I agree, if you are not far from the Woodcraft you purchased it from that would be the quickest route -- so long as they have another unit in stock they should be able to get your unit replaced the same day. Or, if you prefer, they may even offer you the option to upgrade to a different brand router. Just bring your receipt with you unless you are already on a first-name basis with the store owner.

I can manually turn the collect, so I'm guessing the bearings are fine. The light switch still lights up when plugged in, but nothing happens when I turn it on. The motor is most likely toast.

I found my receipt and plan on giving Woodcraft a call. I bought it 2 months ago, left it in the box for nearly a month before mounting it on the table. Including test cuts, the router was on for at most 30 minutes total.

All of the reviews I've read about this router have been good, so I'm guessing mine is a fluke.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can manually turn the collect, so I'm guessing the bearings are fine. The light switch still lights up when plugged in, but nothing happens when I turn it on. The motor is most likely toast.

If the motor blew you'd almost certainly know it, they tend to fail spectacularly (unless you have a poorly seated brush, in which case there's little to no current flow in the motor and a reseating usually does it). My universal motor burnouts have tended towards a spectacular display of smoke, sparks, flames, then melted copper and permanent motor death -- a hard symptom to overlook!

Other than a poorly seated brush, a failure in the speed controller circuitry is the usual culprit in tool's I've owned in the past -- the speed controllers seem exceptionally prone to burnout in many models. I had a top of the line Bosch hammer drill a few years back (not a rotary hammer, which is what I replaced it with) that literally died after just 10 minutes of use while drilling its very first hole. In the end that particular incident was a blessing, the rotary hammer drill is a much more useful tool -- just a good deal more expensive!

Good luck getting your router replaced. I know my Woodcraft (in Greenville, SC) would likely take it back two months later, but then I also know the store owner well. Hopefully yours can do the same. Otherwise, I have also heard many positive reviews and recommendations with respect to the Triton.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Hope you get some good service...I have had the same router in a table for 3 yrs and made hundreds of cabinet doors....no problems with it...great router

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I'd pull the brushes and blow out the dust before I burned some gas. You'd be talking about smoke and smells if anything carbonized! I have to blow out my table routers 5-6 times a year.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Joe the Triton routers have the air intake on the bottom so they dont collect the dust like most other routers....

manfre

New User
Manfre
Dropped the router off at woodcraft and will pick up the replacement on Thursday (they were out of stock). Great customer service with no issues.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Woodcraft rarely (but sometimes) has the best price. But it seems like every employee is empowered to help you and wants to. I have missed sales a couple of times and had them give me the sale price anyway. I have had them pull tools (under $20 carving tools) out of the blister pack to let me compare them, providing wood for me to devalue as well. My wife gets me gifts there because they will ask questions about what I do, stick to the budget and have no hassle returns. CS is their strong suite, at least locally.

manfre

New User
Manfre
The router is backordered until end of July. I guess I'll pass the time by spending more time on the lathe.

manfre

New User
Manfre
Picked up the replacement today...FINALLY!! It seems that Triton's US distributor has stopped distributing. I've noticed a few subtle changes in the router. The body is a darker orange and they changed the dust shroud. There is a piece of the shroud that sits close to the collect that I don't remember seeing on the previous router. I hope it doesn't get in the way of larger bits. Hopefully the screw positions are the same for this version of the router. If I have to buy a new plate, then it will negate one of the main reasons I waited all of these months instead of refunding and replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS