Router Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
So after visting woodcraft in raleigh and a local lowes, Im thinking about making my own router table. The ones in woodcraft are $300 and up. And lowes' are $89 and below (including router) thats crap.

I could order one I guess, but how hard is it to make one? I would need some kind of kit to mount the router right?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can make a router table without any kind of kit really. You could just use MDF with formica over it and recess the opening for the router to start with. You might need long mounting plate bolts but it would and can get you buy.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Might as well just buy one online if i need to get a kit, im not skilled enough to do this I think. Theres 2 at home depot for 70 and 100 bucks, table only. Ryobi brand though, I dont think thats a good idea.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It really isn't that hard to build a top or you can just buy a top depending on what you want to do. Several issues of Shopsmith and Woodsmith both have complete low cost set ups with complete instructions. I built one years ago if I remember correctly from a Woodsmith article that you c clampled to the end of a bench so it was able to be put out of the way. My costs in it were $50 I believe and I used it for years. On another note, I believe Insomniac has pictures on his web site of his previous router table on saw horses. To me, it appears to be quite sturdy and not hard to build.

Most of the ones at HD and Lowes are not the greatest IMO and the Bench Dog's and others are top dollar to have to spend when you are getting started good.

My recommendation is to check out the on line stores, read the reviews and see what you like and don't like. I would also do an online search of Woodsmith's and Shopnotes article index as they have pictures a lot of times or downloadable plans you can get. I would get the whole mag versus the plans just because I think you get more for your money.
If you do build one, use it for awhile, decide what you like and don't like, and go from there.

IMO, the two most important things for a router table are a flat top and a fence that is square to the top.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
They have both the ones i posted in stock at sears in cary. Which one is better for the buck?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If you're only considering those two I'd go with Travis' pick as well. Looks like it is more stable and should be heavier.

Chuck

Arcrist

New User
Andy
My dad has an old craftsman (router) from his dad and he said I can have it, he says it scares him because its loud and he doesnt want to get hurt.

Its an all metal one and good quality he said.

My question is, if i got that lamenated table, can I use other brands or just craftsman?

Last edited:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
At 330 sq inches that table is pretty small.

How about this one from Hartville tools??

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10942?PHPSESSID=1e23cb07dff09bdd185201774ef78980

You can get the table (including insert) and aluminum fence for 169.99 dollars and according to Woodnet forums everything's 20 percent off this weekend.
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2222902&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=
Makes it 136 dollars plus shipping (12 dollars) total 148 dollars.

That table is 24 x 32 inches, meaning it's over TWICE as large as the Sears. Clamp it to the sawhorses or put it on simple straight board legs and you got a heckuva lot better deal than that tiny craftsman table IMHO.

I'm not pushing Hartville tools just saying a bigger table is a pretty neat thing when routing.

Unless you gotta have it now!! :lol: :lol: You know, kinda like a WG fever, level III attack!

Chuck

Arcrist

New User
Andy
It looks nice but I dont see the table part. Just the top for 100 bucks. Isn't the fence the part that you slide the wood against to guide it over the router bit?

edit: ok i see now, the table is the top part. the fence is the guide thing.

Ill just go for the sears one. It seems right for my uses. But what about other routers fitting in it? Is it allowable?

Last edited:

Arcrist

New User
Andy
One last comparison if you guys have a sec:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00926481000 for $80

vs

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00926608000 for $150

I know the 2nd one is better but talking simply bang for buck, which would I benefit from more?

Is this one here just bad quality? its awfully cheap for a combo http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00926501000

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would say that in the bank for the buck dept. that last one would get you more of what you need than the others due to the router included. But none of them are considered to be long term keepers.
Dave:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Andy,

As I mentioned in your other thread, The Sears laminate RT is ok, but a tad small for me now.:roll: Also, when I replaced the Crafstman router with the Dewalt, I did have to redrill the plate to accept the DW base. No big deal (w/DaveO's help/suggestions:) ). But, wouldn't have to worry about that if you get your dad's Craftsman.

Again, there are probably better deals out there online, but you will just have to do a wee bit of searching. I know what its like to resist the urge to just go buy! Been there, done that.......

I think that all of the feedback/suggestions that I have read in this thread are dead on!

Good Luck,

Wayne

PS. If you would like to drop by my place in Cary and have a look at my setup sometime this weekend, just PM me. I am in Cary....Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS