Router table advice

MikePickman

New User
Mike
Hello all. A while back I purchased a phenolic router table top, a jessem lift, woodpecker fence system and Porter Cable router. I have a general knowledge, but I really want to learn to use this set up properly. Does anyone know of any videos or other helpful tutorials? My learning curve has been hampered by the fact that I have four different manufacturers of products all working together. Thanks in advance,

Mike

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mike,

I have never purchased the equipment you have but I have made several router tables including my current one which has a home made lift and a top that tilts up for bit changes. I use a big PC motor in it. It seems you need a base. Mine is fashioned after Norm Abrams from the New Yankee Workshop. You can probably google up an image. I made it the same height as my work bench/outfeed table which is the same height as my table saw and my CMS. It has locking castors on it. I would try googling home made router tables for ideas and then build something you like the looks of. The good thing is you can change your mind and most if not all of your purchases could be moved to a new table.

Jim

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don't know, they're all independent of each other.

You have a depth setting mechanism, and an offset (fence). I guess there are things like making a bearing flush, or using push blocks.

Go to YouTube and search for how to use a router table.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Other than how the fence and lift adjust, which you should have manuals for, all router tables are basically the same. No issues from mix and match. ( plate does have to match the hole in the table, router base does have to bolt up. ) All the safety procedures, set-up etc. So as Bob suggests, hit the WEB. Like all WEB videos, be sure the presenter is one that is reasonablly trustworthy. I have seen some terriblly dangerous how-to's. FIigers too close, big bits spinning too fast, insufficent support... Often missunderstood is the little pin that screws into the plate. There are some for setting up lock-miter joints which are about the most precise setup of anything.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
And, after you have the list of 'good' videos, please post the list on the forum.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I mostly look to see if the presenter is following decent safety procedures. So many do not. Then I see how their advice compares with my experience. That sometimes narrows it down a bit more.

Maybe a forum location where one can suggest, and then have evaluated various sources. For instance, not likely to find a dangerous video from Stumpy. Most of the OEM vidios are at least safe. ( for routers, how about the Tridon vidios?) We do see very different methods between Sellers, Wright, Krueger etc. ( I mostly look at hand tool vidios) I have seen Cosman be a little too casual on the TS. I know he knows better :)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi folks, Dang it's good to be back. More on that later. My router table is all JessEm with the big P-C router. I bought the stand and then fitted the cabinet into it. I was looking to JessEm a few days ago and noticed that they have redesigned their miter gauge system. I have their old system which I have no problem with.

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve got Jessem top and fence with woodpeckers lift and bosch router mounted. I’ve never had any issues with mix/match I would agree with the stumpy recommendations. Depending on which Jessem fence you have I would say do a search for that specific model on YT for more detailed breakdowns on what yours can do.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS