Router Suggestions

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Any recommendations for a smaller router to replace two 70s vintage Craftsman routers I have. The shaft lock is broken on both and I have to remove the motor top cover to change bits. These are mounted upside down to boards that I use as router tables and mostly never removed. I don't need a lot of power or plunge and I never use them hand held. Cheaper is better since I plan to get two.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you want cordless the DeWalt or Makita nice for smaller routing. I have a no brand 1.25 hp I use for edging and rounding larger stuff think I paid 60-70 bucks for on Amazon.
If you want 2.25 hp I like the Triton, mostly, because of the features it has very nice unit. I alspo have Rigid and Bosch, both designs are a little old school, but both are real nice as well.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you need 1/2" shank, the trim routers will be out. If you only need 1/4", then look at the Ridgid at HD and register them to get the lifetime service agreement.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
It depends on the use.
Router table- Triton has great height adjustment without the need for an expensive lift
Small bits/edging -Porter Cable, Dewalt or Ridgid laminate trim. In preferable order. Do you need plunge?
Heavier Routing- Festool 1400, Porter Cable (old standby), Dewalt

The Festool laminate trim is a great router is limited as there is no plunge option that I can find. PC is best for the money. Ridgid is least expensive

Festool 1400 is a must and my goto for everything. I cannot live without it. Not as heavy as most mid size routers but similar power to the beasts that are large and heavy. Has collets for 1/4, 1/2 and 10mm bits. Very precise depth settings and with a guide rail and stops can do almost anything. Downside is the cost $600-700 for router and all accessories

If you just use for edging, a Porter Cable is the lower cost but most reliable option but a Dewalt is comparable.

I have a couple of old craftsmen routers that sit in the cabinet and are never used. A PC 690, Triton, Festool MFK 500,Festool1400, Hitachi, Metabo with plunge and standard base only because at lowes markdown for $25 and Ridgid Laminate trim. I use the Festool for plunging. I keep the PC and a Hitachi set up for dovetails so I never have to adjust as long as the wood is the same thickness. And Yes, I have too many routers.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I don't know if they are still available but PC 690s are my mid-sized routers. They were pretty inexpensive last time I looked. I have 2 motors and 4 bases and no plans to "upgrade" to a more modern model.

If you cannot find PC690s Hitachis are usually inexpensive and my guess is they are servicable.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Harbor Freight has been upping its game with the Bauer and Hercules lines.
I have no direct experience but they seem to be pretty good tools.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Triton just came out with a 3 1/2 hp replacement for the discontinued Porter Cable that is in so many router tables in the USA. It is supposed to fit the Porter Cable Base. I've seen one Ad about this, but not actually seen the router.

Charley

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
If you need 1/2" shank, the trim routers will be out. If you only need 1/4", then look at the Ridgid at HD and register them to get the lifetime service agreement.
Which they seem to be able to not honor, by personal experience. :( But, quite decent tools so in reality on par with the rest.

I love my little 18V Makita, but I bought the plunge base and I have a big honking Ridgid when I need to spin a big bit by hand. Tridon in the table. No complaints about any.

The only advantage to cordless is the little Makita is so easy to grab for a small job. Everything else I use a vacuum so having a cord is no big further deal.

Super to see Tridon making a PC form factor. That makes a TON of lifts and accessories viable. :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
For handheld use, look at the Dewalt DW621 plunge router. The rotating handle-as-locking-mechanism for the plunge takes a little getting used to, but it has worked very well (for 20 years).

-Mark

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch all good. Triton is the best for table mounting

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I’ve got a Bosch 1617, old PC 690, cordless trim Milwaukee, and Festool 1400. Bosch is in my table. For what you’re describing I’d say Bosch or a PC. A lot of people swear by the Dewalt but I’ve not used it. If you do a search for the porter cables on FB Market Place they pop up pretty often for cheap. I listed mine a couple of years ago for $50 and didn’t get a single message. Ended up deciding to keep it. Didn’t think I’d have a need for it at the time but now I’m a believer in the you can never have too many routers.

Linc H

Linc
Corporate Member
I use the Bosch RA1181 table with Router. I also have cordless Dewalt DW600b. Both get used quite a bit and both are excellent routers. Had both for several years.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Which they seem to be able to not honor, by personal experience. :( But, quite decent tools so in reality on par with the rest.

I love my little 18V Makita, but I bought the plunge base and I have a big honking Ridgid when I need to spin a big bit by hand. Tridon in the table. No complaints about any.

The only advantage to cordless is the little Makita is so easy to grab for a small job. Everything else I use a vacuum so having a cord is no big further deal.

Super to see Tridon making a PC form factor. That makes a TON of lifts and accessories viable. :)
I had a Rigid trim router lock up...Sent it to service center. Recieved a new router within 4 wks. I say they stand behind the warrenty pretty well

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had a Rigid trim router lock up...Sent it to service center. Recieved a new router within 4 wks. I say they stand behind the warrenty pretty well
I had a Ridgid portable band saw that had issues. Way out of warranty so I took it to the service center in Pineville. They quoted me a 'not more than' price for repairs, and since they couldn't get parts to fix it I got a new saw. Can't beat that....

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
@Cuthriell if you plan to use the "new" one (s) like you do the old Craftsman's - you would probably like the Porter Cable (690 maybe)
You will find these on the used market for $30 and up.

Another option is the Bosch 1617, I have one of those mounted and it works well...

Alternatively you can find the old Craftsman's in some pawn shops... but you will need to be patient... and you probably want to get yours replaced...

Monz11

New User
Monica
I hv a bosch in my table and ridgid palm and plunge router. Can't beat the prices at directtoolsoutlet.com on the blemished! And u still get the LSA!,

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS