Router plate recess routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I got the JessEm router plate for my RT under construction. The instructions say to use a either a 1-1/2" dia pattern bit or a 1/2" dia straight bit with a 3/4" template guide to route the recess to obtain the 3/4" corner radius . I have neither and really don't want to buy either. What I am thinking of doing is taking a piece of MDF and making a pattern of the plate, cutting out the hole and using a 1/2" dia pattern bit to route the groove that will be the lip to hold the plate and jigsawing the rest of the waste out. Am I crazy or wouldn't this plan work just fine. I really don't want to screw up this top. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think it would work just fine. Having to buy that template to cut out a hole one time is ridiculous. Even if you don't get a perfectly tight fit side to side you can rig something (my top has it) that will allow you to keep it from moving.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You could also use your plate to make you a template similar to doing inlay with the router if you have done that before. Nothing fancy, just using a pattern bit to follow the jess'em template and then that cuts out your template to use to make your inset.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, you can make your own template by stacking up strips of thin plywood log cabin style tightly against the plate itself. Then use a top mounted bearing flush cutting bit. Affix the log cabin template where you want it and trim flush the outside of the pre-jigsaw cut hole deep enough for the plate to sit flush. Set the depth by using the plate on top of the jig and let the bit touch the table top.

When you rough cut the inside of the hole leave enough so that you have 3/8" or so for the plate to rest upon. You can also install some flat wood screws in countersunk holes to serve as levelers in the corners.

I hope this helps.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
Dave,

A few years back I made one recess using Travis' method. Worked fine. For my most recent table I spent $6.00 and bought the template that matched my router plate. It worked fine as well. Soooo.... I guess what I'm saying is either method works. I have a limited number of router bits and the template was cheaper than buying another bit.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dave I put mine in the same way Big Mike was talking about. Worked great:eusa_danc

Charles M

New User
Charles
If you have a 1-1/2" forstner you can use it to radius the corners of a template. Lay the plate on your template material, place straight scrap pieces along the edge and secure, then drill the corners with the forstner.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave..........the man of so much scrap. Dig into your pile-o-scrap and do a few practice runs using the techniques above to see which one you are most comfortable with. A test cut never seems to hurt.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
D L Ames said:
Dave..........the man of so much scrap.
D L

I had to make sure you said "scrap":lol: :lol: I will definitely try whatever method I decide to dare on some scrap MDF....the rest of my scrap is too good to waste on test cuts.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS