Router Chamfer Bit to V Bit

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I need to make a long V block... I have a 1 5/16" chamfer bit with the bearing.Can I take the bearing off and use it like a V bit safely? Never even thought about this until now.Dont want to buy another bit if this is safe to do.TIA!

Definitely want to be safe!!!!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you insist on using that bit, cut a grove first the width of the bearing . Don't cut without the bearing because there won't be anything cutting at the bottom of the V. And don't cut full depth all at once, go 1/4 inch per pass or less.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Buy the correct bit.

I make V blocks by cutting 2 45's on the table saw. Keep it long and then cut to size.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I agree with DrBob -- for a long V Block, cut a 45 degree miter on hardwood blocks of the length you want and glue them together. It will result in a full-depth V.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I would be very hesitant to use a chamfer bit to make a long V block. With the bearing removed, the cutting edges do not come all the way to a point. If you don't need a full depth V bottom, then I guess that doesn't matter.

Personally, I would use either Dr. Bob or Rob's method. On a table saw, rip a 45* miter down the center of a long block, then flip it around and repeat. With a chamfer bit, cut the 45* chamfer down each side of a long block, then rip the block down the middle and glue the two halves back together w/ the V in the middle.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Recently had to make a couple "V" grooves and their mating parts. Used my good old Sears molding head with "V" groove cutter on the table saw. Made some extra pieces as this is a project I may repeat in the future. I do have a 45 grooving bit in my router bit collection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS