Router Bit sets - looking for affordable suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
When I purchased my second hand tools I received a router table with router, and an additional hand router. But what I didnt get was a diverse set of bits. I am in the market for a a "starter" set of bits that would cover the wide range of projects I intend to make.

Does anyone have suggestions for sets that are good/decent quality and have a good variety of bit types?

Also, in your opinion, what makes a router a great one versus bad one? Material, brand affinity, size?

Thanks

Scott

PS I was looking at this set when I decided to post here. https://www.atgstores.com/drill-bit...er-8759-35-piece-router-bit-set_12392958.html

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
As far as router bit sets are concerned, I have found that a number of bits included in inexpensive sets never really have an application for me. When I started woodworking, I purchased a 20 bit set (for cheap) and found that out of the whole set I really only used about a 1/3 of the bits.

Rather than focusing on large mutl-bit sets, I have found that sets containing roundover's, straight's, coves, flush trimming and chamfers are more commonly used on most projects. For this reason I turned to MLCS and purchased their small 4 bit sets of each profile. Example here.....

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...arthtml/pages/setcvro.htm#roundoverset_anchor

Should the need arise for a more specific profile (ie roman ogee or bullnose) I then ordered one from MLCS (note...free shipping) as the project dictated. I could also order the bit based on which router collet (1/4" in my trim routers) or 1/2" for my table mounted router or 2 1/4 HP Dewalt routers. I prefer the 1/2" shank bits as they do run smoother with little fear of breaking the bit shank.

As far as routers are concerned, I have really no brand loyalty. Dewalts, Bosch and Milwaukee are all pretty good routers in various sizes and power levels. I primarily use the Dewalt DW618 2 1/4HP for most handheld routing (w/D-handle, fixed and plunge bases, a Milwaukee 5625-20 3 1/2HP in my router table and either a Bosch Colt or the Dewalt DWP611PK 1 1/4HP for light trim and template work.

A like the Dewalt DW618 a lot as its lower profile gives it a great sense of balance. But again, I try to make sure that each router has the flexibility to use 1/2" shank router bits (with the exception being the smaller trim routers. Another factor to consider is that the base accepts standard Porter Cable guide bushings.

Stop by the MLCS website and browse. Good company, great service, free shipping and pretty good products. (There are better quality bits out there (ie Whiteside) but they can get pricey for the hobbiest.)

Wayne

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I agree with Wayne. I also use more MLCS bits than others but do use others. MLCS has decent bits at a good price and good service.

With respect to routers, I think the most important thing is the collet. Cheap routers have collets that slip and ruin work and can be a safety issue. Good routers have collets which do not slip. Fortunately, the better brands are all pretty good. I like my old PC690s but also use a Bosch Colt and a old Ryobi R500 in my router table.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
It is true that buying some of the more varied bit sets will result in having at least some bits that you never use. If you were to buy the MLCS rabbeting, cove and round-over sets (most common RT operations, IMO), you'd spend about $90 and cover your common tasks for a lot less (and only 9 bits to store).

But I'd still consider the big MLCS 66-bit set ($190). I got it for xmas many years ago and I'm glad I did. At ~$3/bit, it is a great deal and over the past 10 years, I've used >60% of them (I know, because I don't take the plastic coating off until I use them). Counting only the bits I've used, that is still only ~$4/bit (based on the $160 I paid for the set at that time).

They are not the highest quality bits, but they're pretty darn good. I've only used a handful enough to replace with higher-quality bits...such as the 1/2" straight bit that I seem to use all the time.

I'm sure it has saved me at least 20 trips to the store...at a minimum of 30 min/trip, that is 10 hours I got to spend WWing instead of driving...priceless!!!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I am in the market for a a "starter" set of bits that would cover the wide range of projects I intend to make.

You'll have to be more specific.

1. Dados and rabbets.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-4-pc-straight-bit-set

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-rabbeting-bit-set

2. There's hundreds of other options for various profiles and joinery but you don't need an entire set because most of them will never be used. Pick and choose those that you'll use and buy them as needed. The joinery styles can always be adjusted to fit what you already have instead of buying a new bit.

A 1/2" diameter bit is usually better than a 1/4" bit. Check this out.

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/beginners-guide-choosing-router-bits/

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wayne gave some good advice as well as others here. I like MLCS for their good selection and always free shipping. Makes it easy to order a single bit from them for a project. Don't have to wait until you need a bunch of them to justify the shipping cost. What you'll likely find if you buy a cheaper set is that some of the bits will be used a lot while other infrequently. That is a good way to decide which bits to spend extra money on and buy the top-line brands of those such as the Freud Quad cut bits or the MLCS Katana bits which are higher quality than their regular line but a bit more expensive. Both of those are very good quality bits. Whiteside also makes very high quality bits here in the USA. The ones branded by Klingspor are actually made by Whiteside I believe, so they are very good and priced right.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I actually went into that store BEFORE I started woodworking just to familiarize myself with the tools of the hobby. It was an eye opening experience. I was lucky to make it out without spending 1 penny! I know next time I go in my wallet will be emptied. :-\

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
You have a branch of Klingspor in W-S, not sure how competitive their pricing is but you do get that 10% ncwoodworker discount with them.

I'd avoid sets too and just get what you need per project.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tld/5142789112.html

Keep in mind that there are some criteria that you need to meet to qualify for the discount. These criteria can be found under the articles section. Let me know if you need help finding the document.

Steve

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
sound advice from everyone, and I second most of it. You asked about brand affinity; I've always liked Porter Cable routers because they are tough, reliable, serviceable, and there are a lot of jigs and fixtures out there for them. I also have Bosch and Dewalt routers which I also like, but if I was going to buy one router it would be a Porter Cable, likely the 690. I would add, that if you go into any production woodworking environment (cabinet shop, furniture manufactory, boat manufactory, home construction, etc.) you are almost guaranteed to see Porter Cable routers in every day use.

As for the bit question, again I agree with the crowd above. My two cents here is to buy what is locally replaceable, do not buy cheap bits, and avoid most sets. We have something like a dozen routers being used for a dozen different things at any one time in my shop, and I only ever buy the bits I need. Without actually looking at the books, I would venture to say we buy Whiteside or CMT most frequently - I prefer sharp ones...

I'd be interested to hear what you decide on.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I saw that earlier, but it was way out of my initial price range.
Seems a lot steep to me too…. but you asked about routers, Ill give you my 2 cents. I wholeheartedly agree with Stuart Kents reasons for liking Porter Cable routers and like him Ill take the 690 too. I own 2 of them. Surprisingly, no one mentioned 1/4 vs 1/2 shank bits. Most of your cheap sets will have 1/4" shank bits that can be made cheaper. I dont own very many 1/4" shank bits unless they are small. The reason for this is simple. Tool chatter. Bigger diameter is more rigid and will give much better performance. Where I disagree with everyone else here about sets is I like to have the flexibility of possibly choosing a different cutter for a project , thus making it my own. So, I like to have a multitude of profiles on hand for this purpose. My shaper cutter collection is now probably approaching 500 profiles!!. Its a sickness!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
As a beginner I thought it best to go with a good-quality basic router bit set. I bought the Klingspor (Whiteside) Basic Set at their Winston-Salem store. I've already used three of the set and am very pleased with the quality.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I use a router a lot. The real question is, what are you going to build?
Edge Profiles are one of the most common uses for a router. Different size round-overs, chamfers, Ogees, etc. These will help dress your edges well in projects. I typically buy my profiles as I need them, but I did start out with a set of profiles to learn and play with.
Flush trim bits. Very necessary in veneer and other types of edge treatment, but not a necessity for every user
Up-spiral bits are much like having a hammer. They are very versatile and you can find there use in many projects. I have several sizes, but one large and one small would be more than enough.
Mortising bits are over-rated and under needed in my opinion. Up-spirals can general handle most of that work.
Joinery bits are completely based off of your project needs. I use Glue Joint Bits, Tongue and Groove and slot cutters, but these are less frequent usage than the spirals and the edge profiles.
Stile and Rail is for cabinets and such. I rarely do cabinets so I rarely use them.

Again, it really depends on what your doing. I left out a ton of other bits and specialties in the list. As for the brands already listed, they are all good. Whiteside, MLCS, Freud, Amana... it's easier to avoid bad bits. I stay away from bits at the big box stores. Grizzly bits aren't bad. Hope this helps.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Every "set" ive bought comes with a bunch of bits I never use. Seems to me its a manufacture's way to rid themselves of bits that don't sell so well.

But if you buy a speciality set like a straight bit or roundover set those seem to be the better way to go because you generally get a discount for buying a set than if you were to purchase each bit in the set separately.

I rout manly hard maple and Freud seems to work well for me. But as others have said there are a number of good mfg for router bits. Just steer clear of off brands mainly made in china which are not even worth the effort to put in a router let alone return because they cut like crap.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Typically for a bit that I am going to use over and over I will use the MLCS bits, and for something I am only going to use a couple of times I have had good results with the Yonico bits on amazon. Also, I went a different route and did not buy a large set but instead bought a smaller set to get started and then added the bits I've needed along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS