Router bit for flattening slabs?

Claus

Claus
User
I’m getting ready to build a router sled to flatten slabs and other boards, I don't have a jointer big enough. The selection of router bits for this is overwhelming. I’ve found multiple sizes and types, with pricing ranging from around $15 up to several hundred dollars.

Does anyone have some experience to suggest a suitable size and bit for this process? Any other flattening suggestions would also be helpful. Sorry but I’m not sure I want to invest in hand planes.

Thanks,
—Claus

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I bought this one for that exact same useage. It worked well especially since it has rounded corners, should you tip the router slightly, no gouges. Its from MLCS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 8.37.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 8.37.10 PM.png
    156 KB · Views: 1,937

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I forget which brand I got it was 40-50 bucks off amazon. It is a 2-1/2" bit. The real trick to using a router to flatten, is to make a raised sled the router rides on and the sled is on a set of straight edge boards. Then, when you route the top to plane it is comes out pretty close to perfectly flat. Then sand to finish.

gmakra

New User
George
I have the Amana tool with replaceable carbide cutters. It's around 150.00. I power it with a Milwaukee 3 hp router which does the job. After say 45 min maybe an hour it starts tripping out on thermal.

So after flattening a bunch of slabs this is what I can offer you as advice.
Be prepared for a work out since you will be making many passes to flatten the slab.
Flatten the bottom first so you have a stable surface when you do the top.
Be prepared for a huge mess since there is no easy way to contain and collect the chips.
It's noisey.
Be prepared to plane, sand or scrape your surface since there will be tool marks on the slab.
I figure it's about a days worth of work for a table sized slab

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Running a 2 1/2 inch bit in a hand held router? That would scare me, even in my big variable speed.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I use a 1.5" Whiteside router bits for flattening on my CNC machine. And they are a NC company (support local)

I've called them before and spoken to them about what I was wanting to do and they told me what bit they recommended.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Nice looking catalog. Do they sell retail? Nothing on their WEB on dealers or ordering.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Nice looking catalog. Do they sell retail? Nothing on their WEB on dealers or ordering.

I will either order from Amazon or pickup local from Woodcraft. I think Klingspor carries them under their own name brand, they have the same model number as the Whiteside bits (I'm like 90% sure of this but I could be wrong.) I have bought the Klingspor bits and been very happy with them.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Be prepared for a huge mess since there is no easy way to contain and collect the chips.
Wood magazine's router bridge has built in dust collection. Uses skirting similar to a CNC to contain chips. Instead of the conveyor belt brush shown in plans, use a brush bottom door sweep. Much cheaper. Brush botom door sweeps can be found at Amazon, FYI

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a 2" bit, (not sure which manufacturer) on a home made sled. Since I'm retired and time isn't an issue, I make lots of lighter passes (less than 1/8") as opposed to hogging it out 1/4" or so at a time. More passes but easier pushing and pulling.

Claus

Claus
User
I appreciate all of the input. What I’m taking away from the replies:
- lots of bits will do, don‘t go too big, and a reasonably priced one is probably enough
- be prepared for the process to take some time, count on many light passes
- be prepared for a big mess. I might just start outside if this weather keeps up
- Offerman’s sled is the first I’ve seen with adjustable height. I’ll probably try that

Thanks again,

— Claus

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I appreciate all of the input. What I’m taking away from the replies:
- lots of bits will do, don‘t go too big, and a reasonably priced one is probably enough
- be prepared for the process to take some time, count on many light passes
- be prepared for a big mess. I might just start outside if this weather keeps up
- Offerman’s sled is the first I’ve seen with adjustable height. I’ll probably try that

Thanks again,

— Claus

I hang cheap shower curtains around my table to help contain the mess when working inside.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS