Routed Profile Across a Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I am working on a desk, similar to one a PBK. You can see the leg detail at the PBK link.

img43b.jpg

I am trying to figure out how to make a routed profile across the leg. The closes thing I have found is the Freud Ovolo router bit.

836283tmb.jpg

I am open to suggestions and ideas?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
If you look close at that profile, that particular bit won't give you the correct cut. The profile on the leg has a rounded bottom. If you use a core box bit to make the initial cuts you could shape the bead detail by hand. I wouldn't try to make the cut in one pass as you would likely blowout the trailing side. Take a couple of passes on each side and increase the depth til you reach the desired depth. Adjust the fence and make the second cut, ect.ect. Maybe someone else has some other ideas so hopefully they will weigh in.

Mike

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I believe those are cut with a molding head cutter. you can get one for your table saw. I think sears sells one. I dont have one because frankly they scare the bejeasus outta me. YMMV

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I believe those are cut with a molding head cutter. you can get one for your table saw. I think sears sells one. I dont have one because frankly they scare the bejeasus outta me. YMMV

+1 on the molding head for your TS. But like Fred, I got rid of mine years ago. Scary! :saw:

Bill

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I believe those are cut with a molding head cutter. you can get one for your table saw. I think sears sells one. I don't have one because frankly they scare the bejeasus outta me. YMMV

I love the hum of a molding head spinning. Reminds me of the mothership.
Oh wait!, did I say that out loud? Forget everything I just said :rotflm:

I don't have the cutters that exactly fit that profile, though.

Glennbear

Glenn
I love the hum of a molding head spinning. Reminds me of the mothership.
Oh wait!, did I say that out loud? Forget everything I just said :rotflm:

I don't have the cutters that exactly fit that profile, though.

Sorry Joe, I cannot forget your remark, I like the sound also :gar-La; For those who are unfamiliar with molding heads the heads and cutters are still available from here:

http://corobcutters.com/

My most recent use was to machine a huge stack of drawer parts for a shop project. :wsmile:

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Sounds like the cutters might be the answer. Of course, if I were a turner, I might be able to create something similar (but more rounded).

I can definitely imaging why some people are a bit unnerved by cutters, with 3 whacks at the piece per revolution... :swoon:

I may either:
  1. Leave it straight and smooth
  2. Go for a simple V-Groove bead that is sanded sooth and somewhat rounded
  3. Go for a simple double or triple kerf stack
I will have to ask my 8-year old client. :wink_smil They can be very discriminating, but you gotta love 'em.

Thanks again for all your inputs! :eusa_clap

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
John,

That is pretty much the type of profile I was thinking I could find a bit.

1354.jpg

Might have to see if the local sources, Woodcraft, Klingspor and Woodworkers Supply might have something like that.

I had access to a bit like that in the DTCC shop, but won't be back there until next semester.

Glennbear

Glenn
Just a word of caution stemming from way back when I was making desks for my girls. If you are going to paint the desk like the PBK models, use caution when selecting paint. Lower quality finishes are subject to "blocking" (stuff sticks to the surface and pulls up the paint) DAMHIKT :BangHead:

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
I was thinking of using an enamel latex. I cannot remember the manufacturer. Glenn, do you have any recommendations? I do have some milk paint on-hand! Never used it before, but always wanted to.

Glennbear

Glenn
I was thinking of using an enamel latex. I cannot remember the manufacturer. Glenn, do you have any recommendations? I do have some milk paint on-hand! Never used it before, but always wanted to.

I do not have a specific recommendation but questions about white finishes have come up fairly recently in our finishing forum and they were answered by folks with far more experience than me. I did find this thread which may be helpful: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15625&highlight=white+paint Howard Acheson is our resident finishing guru.

The milk paint might be a good idea since it is not a film type finish however it is my understanding that the wear characteristics are not the best.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic is a wonderful paint for desks and the like. However, it is expensive ~55/gal. It lays down really nice. I have used it several times on painted projects and it is the best I found.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
That is the vey paint I was trying to remember the brand name, Brian. I think I still have some of that from some bookcases I made several years ago. The books have NEVER stuck ("booked") on those shelves.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Glenn, I will check out the thread you referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors