New User
JP
Table Saw✔️
Planer✔️
Hand Planes✔️
Router✔️
Sander✔️
Wood✖️
I am like a kid on Christmas. Tools are in, tuned and ready to go. All I need is some material. I am looking for some rough sawn hardwood lumber near Fayetteville/Hope Mills area.

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
JP - If you can find the right place, many cabinet shop suppliers sell skip planed and straight line ripped (1 edge) lumber. I am in Virginia and I found a cabinet supply company about 40 minutes away that sells lumber this way. I can buy it this way for just about the same price as rough cut lumber that is only air dried. The cabinet supplier I use has all kiln dried and professionally graded lumber. I like the skip planed lumber because it is all uniform at 15/16" thick. You don't have to worry about getting a piece of cupped rough lumber that has a hump an 1/8" high that bogs down your planer. Go to some of your local cabinet shops and ask where they are getting their lumber from.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I can't help you with sources in your area, but I have some suggestions.

The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC. It's about 100 miles from you but they will deliver it to you for an added fee. There are also some surfacing services available at the bottom of the page.

"Southeastern North Carolina deliveries down 40 and 70 corridors are available for $79 on the third Wednesdays of the month."

Scott Smith is a sawyer located in New Hill, NC about 60 miles from your area.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
JP, check out the Wood-Mizer site. They used to tell you about sawyers in your area. That's a portable band mill that cuts on site. Sometimes the sawyer takes wood as partial payment for his services.

Roy G

Grit12Gauge

New User
JP
Thank you all for the input. I am going to check out all of these sources.
This community is top notch and I cannot say enough good things about the help I have received.

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
Look up Scott Smith, put him in your GPS, and go. You won't regret the trip. Budget some time to look around, Then double it if he shows you his train set.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I am north of Spring Lake. I have bought lumber from Scott Smith, and Klingspor’s in Cary. Both are good places. I have also bought from the Hardwood Store because my daughter lives close to them.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
There is a sawmill in Raeford I have dealt with. Very good guys. Very reasonable.

PM me and I've got a couple numbers to try and the address.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS