Rough Cut Walnut $1 / bf

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I talked to the gentleman today. The logs are not freshly fallen but they are freshly sawn.
Still sounds like a decent deal and you should be able to select from the same flitch for the 8/4 stuff (however it wasnt very wide).
Salem

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I would worry about pith or proximity to it with logs that small. I assume that is a concern with walnut (as most woods). OTOH, a 6" wide 8/4 board with pith dead in the middle should rip into a couple of 2x2s with dead straight grain, which would make nice woodwind blanks...

Rusted

New User
Stew
they say 1 yr. per inch of thickness is a good drying time.
what are the size boards you have? i am interested in buying some walnut.

nickster

New User
Nick

I got some boards that are a little over 2" that are rough cut on the outside that are about 8 ft long. I have 3 of those and then I have about 7 that are about 5 - 7ft long that are little over an inch. The 1" boards are about 6" wide and the 2" boards are between 6" and 8" wide.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

1" walnut will dry in 90 days if stickered properly with cover. 2" stock 6 months.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
A friend of mine and I went to pick some of this up the other day. We were really pleased with the quality. He said he was going to cut another 5000 board feet this past weekend. Really nice guy to deal with.

nickster

New User
Nick
A friend of mine and I went to pick some of this up the other day. We were really pleased with the quality. He said he was going to cut another 5000 board feet this past weekend. Really nice guy to deal with.

Yeah my dad said he was a really nice guy, I only talked to him on the phone. I was really please with the quality for the price.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff

Around here in NC - it's less than 1 year per inch, especially if you stack in late spring or early summer. However The best one could hope to achieve is 12 ~ 15% air drying. After air drying, you'll still need to polish it off in some kind of a kiln to get the MC down to 6 ~ 10% and sterilize the lumber (bring the wood core up-to at least 135 degrees and hold there for a minimum of 48 hours it kill off any bugs before it could be used for indoor furniture). There's a lot of different types of wood boring bugs in NC. Wood needs to be bug free and right around 8% to use for indoor furniture.

Walnut is one of the more easier species to air dry, it has a higher safe moisture content loss per day than something like oak. essentially all things gone right, you could air dry 4/4 walnut in 90 days or so. There's a general use moisture content loss per day chart for 4/4 and 8/4 on page 2 of this PDF.

Just remember it's pretty tough to maintain a safe moisture content loss per day when you have something as unpredictable as the weather. Exceeded the safe moisture content loss per day and it will show up in the lumber as checks, splits and internal stress. Dry it to slow and if will mold and mildew.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Real life experience:

Bought 2"+ thick Walnut boards in Jan 2007. Stacked them outside with 1" stickers and a cover on top of black plastic. Boards were 6" to 8" wide by 10' to 14' long. Boards were really wet (fresh cut)

Milled them out and made a table out of them in Aug/Sept 2008. Have no idea of the MC.

Table has shrunk approx 9/32" over a 40" width after moving into an air conditioned environment. No problem thanks to breadboard ends and Behlens Table Top Finish.

No bugs (good wood: Thanks Jeff), no problems, but I would guess by the shrinkage that it still was not near 8%.

My conclusions: You ain't gonna get to recommended MC air drying here, but it still works good if you design for wood movement.

JMTCW

Go

PS: If you remember, we were in a "drought" most of that time. However, I am not going to say my storage was the best environment.

pboro

New User
Bob
I bought some ~2 weeks ago. 5/4 thick, widths of 7-10", lengths of 7-9 feet.
I'd say that the wood is usable but I expect a fair portion of loss from end checking, pith, etc- at this price I can't complain. Also some boards were wet. The seller is top notch.

p.s. My first post!:wwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS