Rough Cut lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey guys
I know that I am new and all, but thought you might enjoy this.

I have gotten quit a bit of rough cut lumber from this gentleman.

He is:
Charles W Holland
3729Pea ridge road,
Moncure, NC 27562
off of hwy #1
919 542-4544

Call after 8:00 pm as he doesnt get back into the house til after dark.
mostly he sells his stuff on the weekends.
But giving him a call in the evenings to see what he has available, helps.

Last time I was there I bought a bunch of White Oak, red Oak, and Walnut.
I have also gotten, poplar, maple and cherry from him.

He has a huge saw mill, powered by a cummings diesel with a blade that is about as tall as I am.

The wood is cut, stickered and stacked. so it is air dried. Pull the first couple of layers off and get to the stuff that has been protected.

I kid you not , if you have the ability to plane down your own lumber you cant beat this.

I usually store it the shop for a couple of months, plane it down , check it for moisture and charge on.

And the price, ewieeeeeeee, I was there the day he cut up this huge walnut tree and got over 200 bd feet of Black walnut for a 1.00 per bd ft.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, last time I was there he had tons of cedar, some cut up in slabs other was designated to be sold for fencing.

His prices are way cheap.

Happy hunting:eusa_danc

MAC

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Sounds great...too bad :-( it's sooo far away. I'm in Asheville and that's about 41/2 hours from him. Anyone else in the Asheville area that's interested maybe we could make a trailer run and stock up for a couple of us. I could surely use some white oak and if it is quarter sawn I'll do a jig.

Any interest.

Dancam

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Do you know if he has any 8/4 stuff?

That's the cool part about a guy w/ a mill...he'd probaby cut whatever you want. I may need to go have a conversation with this gentleman. It'd be super schweet if he's online and he'd join us here. Talk about a symbiotic relationship!
It's about 15mi (each way) off of my trail to and from work.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I need to find some clear red cedar for my next canoe project. Need someone who has cut a lot of cedar...most of it is full of knots. Doesn't matter for most project, but won't work for the canoe.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I have gotten 8/4 slabs from him, the best thing to do is to call him in the evenings at the number that I posted.

I thought I went to heaven when I first drove up to his place.

It's a cash business.

My first trip I spent all the cash I had on me about $300.00. I mean I thought that I was ripping him off. I just couldn't believe how cheap he was selling the stuff for.
I mean he had allot of wood. and of different species.
When a 3/4" x 6" x 8' at Lowes of Red Oak goes for what 20+, and you can get a 1" x 12" x 8' for $8.00.(it was 2 years ago since I was there not sure if his prices have gone up)

The Walnut he even sold to me was at $1 a board foot, but it was wet, took some time to dry out. But for that price I could wait.

I enclosed an area in the shop, stack and stickered the wood, then stuck a dehumidifier in, and ran it for 30 days. I was able to get it down to 19% this way. After that I let it sit in the shop for a while, then milled it down.

I have made some sweet pieces with the oak and walnut.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for the heads up Skysharks!
Saw those racks of lumber in your photo gallery :icon_thum

I'm only 15-20 miles away :cool:

Uh oh, can I stay awake until 8 pm? :lol:

Roger

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Do you know if he has any 8/4 stuff?
Hey Brandon Johnson, I have some red oak left over from a job I did last week. I have about a 10" cant left. it will make some 8/4. I also have another piece of the log about 10' long. My web site says I'm mobile, but right now Im covered up with logs and can't move the mill. 8-O

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Mac,

there is sawyer here in Hope Mills, too. Don't know his prices, haven't bought from him, waiting for Michael Garner to get back from down range to go find him. Also, another in Elizabethtown, TurnBull sawmill?

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
No kidding, man that would be great.
Could always use a another resource.

I sure hope some guys called that guy last night, I would be interested in what he has and if his prices are around the same.

The I have made some nice pieces from the cedar that I got from him, man that red really pops when you clear it.

I still havent used all the Oak that I got from him, and I have made allot of raised panels, and face frames.

And dont get me started on the Walnut, just simple Beautifulllllllllll.

I tell you I wish I had found you guys sooner, there was a cabinet shop in Eastover that went out of business, and the guy was clearing out the warehouse. You won't believe the deals he was giving. But it finally came to and end, its all gone now.
russian furniture grade plywood 25.oo a sheet 3/4"
1/4" oak plywood 5.00 a sheet
Cabinets 20.00, didnt matter what size.
Maple and oak door blanks, I got them all, hehehe.
Anyone looking for a few I got some, well OK I got about 40 of each, LOL

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
No kidding, man that would be great.
Could always use a another resource.

I sure hope some guys called that guy last night, I would be interested in what he has and if his prices are around the same.

The I have made some nice pieces from the cedar that I got from him, man that red really pops when you clear it.

I still havent used all the Oak that I got from him, and I have made allot of raised panels, and face frames.

And dont get me started on the Walnut, just simple Beautifulllllllllll.

I tell you I wish I had found you guys sooner, there was a cabinet shop in Eastover that went out of business, and the guy was clearing out the warehouse. You won't believe the deals he was giving. But it finally came to and end, its all gone now.
russian furniture grade plywood 25.oo a sheet 3/4"
1/4" oak plywood 5.00 a sheet
Cabinets 20.00, didnt matter what size.
Maple and oak door blanks, I got them all, hehehe.
Anyone looking for a few I got some, well OK I got about 40 of each, LOL
I believe this the guy who my friend bought his firewood logs from. When you are over drooling over his wood, ask to see his "home theater" and fallout shelter. Unreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS