Rough Cut lumber for equipment shed needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

New User
John
I need approx. 1000 sq ft of rough cut lumber for equipment shed I'm building in Sea Level, NC (about 25 miles northeast of Beaufort in Carteret Co.). I need 1"x aprox.13' in length, variable widths OK. thanks, John

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Home Depot but if you want rough cut stock contact one of the sawyers who frequent this site. They will need more info than you have provided in your post.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
John,

Welcome to the NCWW pile-o-sawdust. Tell us a bit more about what you are building so we know how to answer the question. There are a number of sawyers in this forum and they could supply you with as much lumber as you could use.

You mentioned 1X and that you wanted boards to be 13 feet long. How wide should the boards be? Better yet, what are the dimensions of the shed. How long and how tall are the walls? Do you really want to build with with board walls? Have you considered framing it with 2X4 studs and covering that frame with something like T1-11 sheets? If you can describe the project in a bit more detail, we can offer more with regards to what you might need and where you can get it.

Since this is your first post, I'd like to encourage you to post a note to the "Who We Are" forum and tell us a bit about yourself and the projects you like / need to build.

Ray

saw4you

New User
Jack
I will be glad to saw the lumber for you, but I think Ivey is alot closer to you than I am, he is in Burgaw. PM if I can help you

Jack

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I was down at Ivey's this past Saturday and he was sawing some nice pine logs. He can definitely help you, and he's an OK guy also.

Jack (saw4u) Jeff, and several other guys can ease your pain also, but Ivey is probably nearest to you.

We buy cypress from him often and he has good stuff at reasonable prices.

J

jeff...

Board and Batten siding? If so - I've cut a few orders of it...

Most folks look for the widest boards and narrowest battens. I would not go with anything less than 6" boards spaced 1/4 ~ 1/2" apart, battens should overlap by at least 1". If you use wider boards, increase batten size (wider batten) to allow for greater shrinkage. There really is no set widths for board and batten siding but a good combination seems to be 1x3 battens and 1x10 boards, this combination is the most popular with my customers. Siding should be nailed to good 2" thick furring strips. Boards up to 6" wide should be set with one nail in the center of the board. Likewise the batten covering the gap between boards should be set with one nail also in the center of the batten. The shank passing between the edges of the boards (this is important) Use two nails for boards over 8" wide, space the nails approx 2 1/2" to 3" apart. Nailing and spacing this way allowed for shrinkage and expansion - less chance for the boards to crack because the are allowed to move under the batten. Wait one season then prime and paint this give the boards ample time to air dry.

Depending on how long you want your siding to last you could go with SYP or Poplar both which will last several years, white oak may outlast me. Other good choices are sycamore and cypress - sycamore like white oak and cypress is quite rot resistant and will hold up for a long time to come. Use hot dripped galvanized 12 and 16d screw shank nails to help prevent nail pop.

Talk to Ivey or Randy (Wood Butcher) they are not all that far from you - I'm sure one of them will hook you up.

Later

Moses

New User
John
Thanks to all for sage advice. Jeff, I appreciate your detailed description of how to do board-and-batten right. Does anyone have Ivey's contact information? He may be the best bet, though I wish there was someone even closer. Sea Level is about 2-1/2 hours from Burgaw--could be worse. John

M

McRabbet

Moses,

Click on Where Are? on the upper Menu Bar and then on NC Sawyers for the names of sawyers across the state, by region. You'll find Ivey in that listing with his contact info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors