Rosewood veneer table top and walnut legs

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I salvaged a large conference table top with what I believe is rosewood veneer on the top. (I can post a picture later) I also salvaged some walnut table legs. Thinking about making a couple of end tables. I am considering using walnut around the edges. I am wondering if this would "look" odd? I have used walnut and white oak on other projects and like the contrast of the two woods. But the rosewood and walnut look very similar. So would the average person even notice the difference? I am not trying for a contrast of woods, but before I got to deep into the project, thought I would seek opinions.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
You may find the red of the rosewood doesnt sit well with the chocolate of the walnut. I'd try a scrap of walnut finished out the way you intend to be sure.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I think you are correct, I don’t like the look.

Attachments

• 7FFE2DDA-7AC7-4886-831B-E859785E9F08.jpeg
    7FFE2DDA-7AC7-4886-831B-E859785E9F08.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 41E556A5-136D-4094-86F5-40200355D4BC.jpeg
    41E556A5-136D-4094-86F5-40200355D4BC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 144

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
It looks like the walnut (and maybe the rosewood also) is(are) bare wood. I'd suggest you swab both with mineral spirits and take the same picture while they're still damp. That will better represent the tone and saturation when finished. It may still be "off" but will give you a better feel.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That table top looks to me like high quality slip matched figured and mineral streaked walnut veneer that's been around for 20 years or so. Banding it with new walnut will give a give a subtle contrast that will look just fine.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Yes it is bare wood, I will wet them down and see how that looks. I don't have enough matching legs to do two tables. I have seen some tables use metal legs, which may look okay. Found a boatload of them on Amazon. Do you know of another site that sells metal legs?

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I've only done one metal leg table and had that custom done by a small shop in Canada - much better price compared to local metal shops but probably more than all the standard sizes/shapes on the web.
Here's a picture of that. Bacote top with walnut drop-door "floating" cabinet.

Bacote Table.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Late to the game, but @Robert166 what about using butternut as an accent wood?
Actually thinking about it a Tiger Maple might look REALLY cool? (obviously everyone's taste is different...)

Last edited:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It all depends on the color tones. Rosewood can vary a lot.

Ebony or a very dark wood goes with rosewood well. Walnut can be darkened to almost look like ebony with dye. Or, check on "ebonizing wood".

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS