Root Stock Turning Squares

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Anything to be concerned about when slicing root balls for turning stock? Nothing like pith or anything like that is there? What make a good root ball turning square or am I wasting my time?

Root balls are real PITA to prep, have to power wash the balls at least twice to get rid of the dirt and rocks or else my band mill blade goes to **** after a few cuts. Then there is the challenge of getting the ball set on the mill, so the mill can slice it.

It's some really cool looking stuff, not sure I would call it gain, well maybe because it's wood, but not really because it's roots. Despite how figured it is, I'm real hesitant to sell any of it. Frankly, I don't know what I'm doing with it AT ALL. So any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dozer

Mike
Jeff the root ball of most trees has a grain pattern much the same as burl. There are alot of people that consider the root ball to be burl. If there is any center holes running the length of the piece you are cutting it might cause some problem when it dries as it might check or crack.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Some time back, on some forum, I heard that the guy sliced them down the middle with a chainsaw and then went from there. He did not have a bandmill but did all his cuts with a chainsaw. I think his second step was to then cut lengths of the 'half roots', and then just kept cutting soen til he got what he wanted, size-wise and grain-wise.

On another post (could have been the same forum or a different one) the guy that did basically the same thing except when he cut it down the middle he cut about an inch off center both ways and eliminated any pith this way (with a 2" thick slice out of the middle).

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors