Rookie mistakes

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
After 30 years of owning and abusing a B&D workmate, the original tops were never cut! Today I was using it as a sawhorse (my usual use) and did not check the location before cutting. Oops!

1617547810634.jpeg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Oops. When you feel resistance, stop :) Applies to circular saws, Q-tips, and eyeballs.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I've had the same workmate since '82. making a new top is on my list
It's about the only thing from B7D I've had any luck with.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have 2 that i use for sawhorses, to elevate a piece while spraying finish etc. they take up much less room than conventional sawhorses when not in use. I have never used the dog holes or clamping features

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the desert storm paint scheme... but I think everyone that has done anything can relate! I know I can, many times over... never owned a B7D (didn't know that "love handle" until a few minutes ago! LOL

But I have cut into and through many things with and without intention! :eek:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
At least you didn't cut it in half on the other axis - that would be harder to fix!

-Mark

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was in my early 20s I owned and ran a picture frame shop. One day my brother came in and was messing around. He laid a piece of mat board on my work table and started cutting through it.

Underneath was a $300 print I was getting ready to frame. I didn't like him even before that.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Reminds me of my brand new circular saw... The first woodworking tool I bought. Set it down and cut the cord clean off, first cut!.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
After 30 years of owning and abusing a B&D workmate, the original tops were never cut! Today I was using it as a sawhorse (my usual use) and did not check the location before cutting. Oops!

View attachment 200951
I never had to worry about making this sort of mistake. Before I could get around to cutting a sawhorse or my Workmate my brother-in-law did it for me. He managed to cut all sorts of things that he used as a makeshift sawhorse - ladders, workbenches, you name it, he cut it. He never learned to grasp the concept of sacrificial cutting materials or depth adjustments on circular saws. By the way I have one of the original Workmates stashed away in my crawlspace. The top, believe it or not, is still perfectly functional. It has to be 30+ years old. Now that I have posted this, I'm going to have to dig it out next week.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
We had a FORMER employee that liked to use the Rubbermaid Brute trash drums as workbenches without any sacrificial timbers below. Problem is, once you cut through the upper rims they tend to get too floppy to pick up and dump into a dumpster. That wasn't the reason he was let go, but it showed the direction of his level of care about his workplace.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had built a brand new work bench and then had a friend over to help make some cornhole boards. I am certain you can see where this is going.....

I now have a perfect 6 inch circle cut into the top of my pristine work bench from where he drilled right through. The positive side is that I no longer obsessed about the top of my work bench. It is a work bench after all.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I had built a brand new work bench and then had a friend over to help make some cornhole boards. I am certain you can see where this is going.....

I now have a perfect 6 inch circle cut into the top of my pristine work bench from where he drilled right through. The positive side is that I no longer obsessed about the top of my work bench. It is a work bench after all.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Put a trash can under it and sweep the shavings into it. ;) ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS