Rookie Mistake

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Made two cabinets including 4 drawers over last night and tonight. I was just wrapping up for the night and decided to do some dry assembly before heading out of the shop. Had one cabinet about assembled and realized I never cut the top stretchers . . . . .

I'm already dusty and thinking I'll just knock these out quick. Sure enough, two cuts into my ripping the stretchers, I realize I am cutting the piece I had made for the back of the cabinet instead of the scrap pieces I had on the other side of the table saw.

You have to be kidding me . . . . What a rookie mistake that was and yes, it does mean a trip for another sheet of ply. Ugh! (But my locking dado's on the drawers were absolutely perfect! :) )

Attachments

• IMG_0147[1].JPG
    IMG_0147[1].JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0148[1].JPG
    IMG_0148[1].JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0149[1].JPG
    IMG_0149[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 175

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I think we've all been there, thing is you will learn from that mistake and hopefully remember to find a way to not do that again. I have to mark what parts are on a piece of tape, that way I know where they go when they're in the stage you are in. Just be glad it wasn't one of the last things to do that makes you have to start over, I have done that too.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Rick, I feel your pain/frustration/annoyance! I have done the same thing as well as many other stupid/crazy/unfortunate acts of woodworking!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
So you're the guy that collects mistakes. I'm going to pack mine up and send them to you.

Be on the lookout for an 18 wheeler in your driveway! ;)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You have to be kidding me . . . . What a rookie mistake that was and yes, it does mean a trip for another sheet of ply. Ugh! (But my locking dado's on the drawers were absolutely perfect! :) )
I don't think that's a rookie mistake at all, that's an expert level mistake. Rookie mistake is cutting the part too short :)
But man I feel your pain, even worse when you have to make the trip of shame to get more supplies. I think this is how karate was invented, a woodworker frustrated in the shop.

Hope the rest of the project goes better!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
That is way better then the common "cut it short cause' I measured it 1 inch off" ..........

ste6168

New User
Mike
Typical day in the shop for me. My second favorite move is when I cut some plywood to width, then go to cut the length and cut the side I just cut, shorter.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS