Rolling Workbench - yes or no?

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
First of all, WOW!!!! and THANK YOU ALL for so many responses. I really appreciate the suggestions and photos of the benches. It is great to see the ingenious solutions to working in small spaces. Please continue to share those pictures. Since I am still in the planning phase, it is great to see so many options and be inspired.

Wiley, Steve, Bob
you made a great point about the compound of the tire. I am thinking I may not want to cheap out and use the little casters I have from another project. They are only about 2" tall and I'm not sure of the weight load. Also, the pic I shared was the best one to show the casters, they were not finished. He did put a shelf on the bottom and added storage.
1622847297311.png

Scott,
you worded it very well, I was concerned the bench would wiggle if the legs were not firmly on the ground.

Hank,
I like the idea of being able to move the wheels to other tables, but I doubt I will ever get that much energy so I will just put wheels on them all. Also, just because it starts as an assembly table, doesn't mean it will stay that way. I probably left it off my original post, but 1 of the 2 benches will be where my miter saw resides.

Lecil, Tom, Mark, Bill
I saw the wheels that Lecil shared and those are what I was thinking about. Wherever I saw that picture, they had connected a rod to both wheels so they only had to step on one spot.
From where did you get yours?

Linc,
Those are very similar to the ones Lecil shared. I will have to compare the 2.

Rich,
I never heard of the Ron Paulk so I will be googling that tonight.

Rory,
Those adjustable casters are interesting but I think Hank is right...I am too old and too fat to have to get down on my hands and knees to adjust them. The Floor Locks are cool too. I think the would be better than sitting on the standard swivel casters, but I think I would rather have the retractible caster. One less item to buy (times 8)

Fred,
I did not really think about collapsible tables...that is another option. I will be looking them up tonight as well.
As for the flip carts, I am not sure I am a fan. That seems like it is a lot of extra work and engineering to make them. I am so used to pulling tools off the shelf to use them I don't think I'd mind swapping one tool for another. But I am not ruling them out completely.
I completely agree with you that THIS forum will and already has helped me figure out what will work best for me.

Scotty,
I do not currently have a table saw, so I did not consider that. I am looking at getting a portable one to start, so I better decide before I build - LOL. I do have a Kobalt router table, and again, I did not think about incorporating that into the table design. I can definitely see where having the outfeed table would be helpful; especially since I was recently rounding over the edges of 8' 2x4's on that little router table.
Also, would you mind sharing again the pic of the 2 tables together...for some reason it is very tiny on my screen.

Bainin, Jack, Raymond
I am glad to hear that just sitting on the casters can work, and I too am concerned about the flip down ones becoming a trip hazard. However, I think Tom said if you build in an overhang, that is not an issue.

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I do not currently have a table saw, so I did not consider that. I am looking at getting a portable one to start, so I better decide before I build - LOL. I do have a Kobalt router table, and again, I did not think about incorporating that into the table design. I can definitely see where having the outfeed table would be helpful; especially since I was recently rounding over the edges of 8' 2x4's on that little router table.
Also, would you mind sharing again the pic of the 2 tables together...for some reason it is very tiny on my screen.

See if these show up full size, I also included a quick design for a compound mitre saw jig that just dropped into the dog holes of the assembly work bench. I am tossing around the idea to counter sinking some N52 round magnets into the exterior edge 12" OC. My tablesaw is a dewalt 745 contractor saw, bench was designed around it and the dewalt has worked well enough to build cabinets with. It is no replacement for a fullsize saw but I am also not making a living wood working.
Workbench combined 1.jpgMiter Jig.jpg

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Another option of locking casters are these:

78A222BE-4F73-4BC4-854B-74F5FBE3F18F.jpeg

I used these on my saw station holding my Unisaw after going through a set of Rockler wheels and HF wheels. They are dual locking and are rated for 700# per wheel.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS