Status
Not open for further replies.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good day all,

I spend too much time and shoe leather walking across my shop to pick up and put away clamps hanging on the wall, as well as giving up valuable wall space. That said, I have decided to build a mobile clamp rack. I wanted to solicit suggestions from anyone who has experience building one. I have a good assortment of Bessey K-body clamps, Pony clutch (F) clamps, C clamps, quick-grip clamps, and wooden screw clamps.

I have been to Pinterest and the options are overwhelming so I am reaching out to my trusted fellow sawdust addicts for thoughts, ideas, plans.

Regards,

Matt

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I did just the opposite. I had a fully functional mobile but decided it took up too much room, and I was always moving something else out of the way to move the rack - often I just left it where it was and burned shoe leather. Also, it was always in the way to get to the wall behind it. I think there are multiple ways to hang clamps on the wall that maximizes shop space - unless you're lucky enough to have an abundance of floor space.

John

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
John,
Thanks for the quick response. You now have me thinking about the "grass being greener" and it looks like this might tun into a stationary vs mobile clamp storage debate, which is just fine with me.
Do you have ideas about how you maximized your use of your wall space for clamp storage.
Matt

Fishbucket

New User
Joe
Ive gone to a mobile clamp tower. I think it has an 18”x18” footprint and about 4’ high. for the amount of clamps i have now.
If I get more, I’ll make another. It’s easy to roll around where needed. And tucked into a corner or against a wall when not

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I made this which has served me well over the years. It is from the New Yankee Workshop.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180725_085345.jpg
    20180725_085345.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 366
  • 20180725_085409.jpg
    20180725_085409.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 443

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you decide to maximize wall space, here's an idea I used in my shop.

attachment.php

Attachments

• openCabinet.jpg
    openCabinet.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 340

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
No pictures, but I made a mobile clamp rack from plans in Wood Magazine about 12 years ago. I didn't have as much machinery, and the machines were smaller. Now the rack lives in an awkward spot as there's no room anywhere else, but it's near the benches. One problem with the clamp rack is that when loaded up with clamps, it becomes very heavy. I wished I'd put larger casters on the bottom. The rack stands about 6' high and holds a whole lot of clamps. BTW, I don't have the wall space anywhere to hang the clamps either; maybe I just have too much stuff.....NO, NEVER!:wwink:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​I store my pipe & K clamps on my ceiling. No problem with them getting in the way. My new workbench has clamp storage drawers for smaller clamps. This keeps them at hand close to the work area. I find my go-to clamp the medium size Irwin "quick grip" clamps. You all know the old saying a wood shop never has too many clamps. WELL! I got too many clamps. Most of my projects are small so I need less bar clamps and more smaller clamps. I've got a few up for sale. Haven't posted them yet, but it's on the way.

Pop

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
We moved a lot and I was constantly buying new pegboard after each move, so I went with something a bit bigger. But you can use the inside as well. Is not pretty, just 1x3s and pegboard on wheels.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 297

mpholway

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pop,
Would you please provide a photo of your ceiling storage
Matt

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
No picture, but my uncle built his under his assembly table. One long side has drawer storage, the opposite long side stores long clamps horizontally. The ends both have short clamp racks. That way they are always right at hand at the assy table.

I currently use a wall mount rack which is close to my assy table.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I built a wall rack for the bar clamps and a few others. I store my spring clamps at the end of my bench and my quick grip clamps hang from the side of my metal bench

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_3932.jpg
    IMG_3932.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 247

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Mpholway, sorry it took so long to get back to you. Since I was in the shop with a camera I shot my whole clamp storage system. Bar & "K" style clamps in 2 in. PVC on ceiling, "Quick-grips" in bench drawer, spring & miscellaneous also in bench drawers & heavy "quick-grips" on wall in the most out-of-the-way space I have.
Bill Clemmons swing-away storage system is a neat design. like it!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Pop
:cool:

Attachments

• P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 198
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 200
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 206
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010017.jpg
    P1010017.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I too built the NYW version clamp rack. I like it very much, only it needs to be twice the size it is while maintaining the same footprint. I have enough cut offs from a cabinet job (3/4" birch plywood) to build another that are yours for the asking. Otherwise, they will either go to dumpsters, or burn pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS