Rockwell 10 Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

stal023

New User
Stal
Is this worth a ####? Rockwell 10" Bandsaw.

http://www.ashevillehardware.com/used-tools/

If not, I am in the market to get a bandsaw but of course, not a ton of money. Don't really want to spend more than $200 if I can get away with it. Suggestions? At this point I can't say I would need it for any heavy duty woodworking, just your regular furniture making cuts.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Stal, I do not desire to be the bearer of bad news and I cannot speak definitively regarding the saw that you are speaking about. I visited the page and quite frankly, I have never worked on one of those saws. It does look like it is larger than some of the 10-12" of that caliber, not sure if that is just the picture or what.

I can tell you however, that most 10-12" bandsaws lack the horsepower and or blade spine to be able to trump through wood of any significant thickness, say over 3/4" with any accuracy. This is largely due to the fact of the blades that are associated with these type saws. They are just too thin and not wide enough to possess rigidity needed to prevent from wandering and waving when cutting stock thicker than 1/2" thickness.

I totally understand where you are coming from in regards to budget hunting. I can tell you though, if there is anyway possible for you to save your money or sell your work and purchase, at the least, a 14" saw of the reputable brands you will in the long run be much happier. It is amazing just how much saw you get when you size up to the 14" saws and quite often one can do so for just a couple hundred more dollars above the $200 you already have allocated. The difference in the saw you will obtain is stark; the overall housing is made better, the tables are much more stable, the horsepower ratings, stand, band wheels and blades are all steps above their 10-12" brothers. Plus, the 14" saws are much easier to get parts for if need be. A good 14" saw, if taken care of properly, could very well last you your lifetime...all for just a few hundred dollars more.

I have noticed that Rikon has some of their factory clearanced 14" saws on sale for about $430 at some of the woodworking stores around the Raleigh area. They are nice looking saws from what I can tell. And your choices of blade thickness and widths that can be utilized on these saws are a vast array, allowing you to do finesse work or beef up your system for re-sawing some thicker pieces.

But then again, if you just needed to make some thin stock cuts up to 1/2" thickness, the Rockwell would hold you off until you were able to land another saw in the shop.

just my experiencing speaking, for what it is worth -chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS