Rocking chair stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've been playing with the concept and design out of curiosity. So I bought these rocker runners for a start.

http://www.vandykes.com/rocking-chair-runner-adult-medium/p/204421/

Quoted specs: 4.25" end rise, length 36.25". I didn't understand those dimensions until I got the rockers and started nosing around.

End rise is from the center of the rocker runner.

P8290004.jpg

Length is the outside radius sitting on the floor.

P8290005.jpg

I built a simple frame without joinery just to check it out. It's close to vertical as it sits.

P8290006.jpg

Removed the chock and it rocks nicely with about a 10 degree back tilt. Moving the frame towards the right will reduce that angle and flatten the rock a bit.

P8290007.jpg

Comments, critique, and suggestions are welcome as always. Thanks.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very interesting. I just wonder how much that will change once a greater than two dimensional load is applied. If the center of gravity of the cross members stays the same then it wouldn't change much, but if for instance the back slats were particularly heavy compared to the chair seat then the center of gravity will move rearward and the balance will change.

All in all though, it is a very good start to understanding the dynamics of the rock. Carry on please.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I expect the cg of the sitter will be more important than the slats, (or seat for that matter)

Nice work, Jeff!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow your putting a lot of thought into this... it will be interesting to see what comes out of it. You may want to bounce some questions off of Touchwood (Don Patterson) Don is what I would consider a master rocker man.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Interesting approach to determining the dynamics before starting in on the actual product. I'll be interested to see the rocker you come up w/.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
There is a chapter on rocking chairs in the Chairmaker's Workshop by Drew Langsner. He goes over how to make a rocking chair and gives measured drawings for one.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A few points are emerging as I play with the concept and become less enamored with customization.

1. Production rocking chairs don't fit everyone. They're average dimensions for an average person. That's ok because who's going to sit in a rocking chair for +30 minutes without being uncomfortable and squirming around? Cushions are often used to compensate for those differences between individuals.

2. At 6' tall my ideal rocker would be different from someone who is 5' 6" tall.

3. Custom rocking chairs made to fit are high $ and that "heirloom" chair may be a PITA for the recipients.

4. There's nothing wrong with a production rocking chair for overall use. Buy one, trash one for a few $.

I'll continue playing with the idea but I'm not losing sleep over the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS