Rocker seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Still working on mine, but it was a combination of a hand grinder with a wood cutting head, a larger surform (I think that is what it is called), a small surform, a couple of small block planes, rasps, and a sander with a variety of grits.....

The grinder with the head works well for RAPID stock removal, but you have to be careful with it. the surforms do well for removing the general ripples and inconsistencies.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I made a few of em and all I used was a 40 grit grinder wheel on my 8" disc grinder to shape it,then used a ROS going thru the grits to smooth it out.There really not that hard to make.Good luck with it.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
It really depends on the profile you want. If your gonna keep the seat shallow (say less than 1/4" in the deepest part of the seat) than go with a flap disc sanding wheel on an angle grinder. If your gonna go deeper than the answer depends on the wood. If it's hard (maple, sapele, brazilian cherry, Euro beech) use a wheel like the one you linked to above- galahad also makes one (even one that has holes so you can see what your doing). If the wood is not so hard (walnut, cherry, mahogany) then get some gouges or mabye a scorp and do it by hand. After the rough shaping is done you'll have to use rasps, surforms, and your random orbit sander to get it truly flat and smooth. Just my .02

Good luck

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thanks, I picked up that nice Maple slab the Chris was selling at the picnic, with the spalting/ambrosia and curl. Thinking of a seat, hummm....

dlrion

New User
Dan
You lucky duck, I was eyeing that piece...

I want to see some pictures when you are done.

Dan

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice score Gary! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap If you don't mind, I'd like to stop by when you're doing this. When I did the tractor seats in our rustic bench, I used 80 grit and my belt sander and cleaned it up with the ROS. An hour later, drenched in sweat, I was hoping there was a better way to do it. :swoon:

trentpics_269.jpg

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
If you are thinking for the wife, you are way off I got less than 2 weeks left, and closing fast. In fact shop time is going to be nullified here real soon. I have been doing some bowl rough outs just so that when I do get some time I have a nice starting place. LOL

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Gary, I used the carbide discs like the pictures of the ones you posted and they really make short work of it. Don't feed with too much pressure because they cut very aggressively and DO IT OUTSIDE! Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS